Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

zachorazor
Getting Established

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

Hi.

I'm constructing a full-sized Iron Man Alcove. Yes, really. And I am using 3d-look and other metallic vinyl wraps for effects.

To stick, these need a smooth surface, such as laminated panels used in kit furniture products. The issue is, I need a solid piece of wood for the back of the alcove and the kit I'm looking at buying from Bunnings, only has the flimsy 3mm ply. So I'm looking at buying a 2400mm x 1200mm x 17mm piece of Formrite-Formply, from you for the back. But, as this piece has the most important vinyl wrap decal, I need to know if there will be issues with the adhesive clinging well to such a surface.

Do you know?

Thanks.

Zach

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zachorazor. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about vinyl wrap.

Without having actually performed the test with your types of vinyl and formply, then I don't think anyone is going to be able to be 100% confident in their answer. However, I'm confident that vinyl or self-adhesive film would stick well to formply. You might want to wipe it down with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and warm water to remove any residue on it and then ensure it is entirely dry before you apply your film. 

It's always best to do a test section if possible, to determine it's suitability.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The reason I have for particular concern is that my understanding is that this formply is coated to resist concrete and other things that might ordinarily stick to a smooth surface, is that not the case? So, this is why I thought I'd ask before spending all the money just for a completely trial and error approach.

In other words, does this type of formply specifically resist adhesive surfaces, and could this be an issue in my case?

Cheers,

Thanks for replying.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zachorazor 

I can only relay to you my experience regarding Formply, even with the resin-impregnated paper on top of the panel the manufacturer still states that a release agent must be used on the surface in order to prevent moisture ingress and bonding. I've used it for various projects involving concrete and it is ideal as it releases its hold on concrete once the clamps or screws are removed. I suggest exploring other options as the surface finish might not be compatible with your vinyl wraps.  

Have you considered using plywood and sanding its surface to get a perfect finish. You can fill the surface with UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g in order to get a better finish.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

Mornning @zachorazor 

I think it would be hard to know how well your vinal wrap decal will bond, I would probarly test a small area first and see how it clings to it. (Sometimes there are offcuts in the timbercut for sale bin at Bunnings) 

Another option would be to go with the laminated ply and glue that to some thicker plywood to get the strength and also the smoothness you require.

inBuilt 3 x 2400 x 1200mm Black Texture Pre Finished Melamine Backing Board 

liquid nail it to

SpecRite 2400 x 1200 x 17mm Film Faced Non Structural Plywood 

The price will be in the same ballpark but the surface of the material may match more of what you want (And also if you buy the 3mm stuff in a smaller size, it will be cheaper to test)

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zachorazor,

Formply is coated with a slick, non porous surface (like laminate), which is why concrete does not stick to it. Stickers, vinyls and decals typically have no issues sticking to ultra-smooth and slick surfaces. In fact, they much prefer those to rough surfaces. Think of a highly buffed car that gets coated in vinyl wrap. That's far slicker than the coating on formply. However, there might be a bit of an oil on the surface, which you should wipe off first.

As mentioned by @Dave-1, take a piece of the vinyl wrap into a store and test it on a sheet.

Mitchell

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @zachorazor 

Sorry but without having done this myself, I would have to agree with the other posts that you will need to do a test run first. I do think it should be achievable though with some prep to the formply surface like roughing it up with sandpaper. So, maybe try that on the test run.

Nailbag

zachorazor
Getting Established

Thanks for your helpful thoughts on my project, based on your knowledge.

zachorazor
Getting Established

That's an interesting idea. I'll look into the melamine Backing Board, but I tend to make a mess with liquid nails and need this backing to look straight and solid. But I appreciate the creative approach.

I'm of a similar mind. I think a test run might have to be the way. Thanks again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects