Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What weight rating for bookshelf using Specrite panels?

peterr
Just Starting Out

What weight rating for bookshelf using Specrite panels?

I'm planning to make bookshelves using 'Specrite 1200 x 405 x 18mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel' for the shelves. I'll cut them to 800mm long. The books are VERY heavy, what is the most weight that I can put on this timber?

The Bunnings website gives no specifications that I can find & the staff at my local store were not able to help. Perhaps the moderator of this site will be able to find out for me.

Thanks,

Peterr

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What weight rating for bookshelf using Specrite panels?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @peterr. It’s fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the weight capacity of Specrite panels.

While specific weight ratings aren’t typically provided for non-structural timbers like the 'Specrite 1200 x 405 x 18mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel', we can still make some educated estimations based on the properties of the material and the shelf design.

A lot depends on how you plan to support the shelf. If you're cutting the panels to 800mm in length and only supporting them at both ends, I'd suggest keeping the load between 5-10kg. Pine, while sturdy, is prone to bowing under heavy weight if not adequately braced. Over time, the middle of the shelf could sag, especially with heavy books.

However, if you can introduce a central support, or better yet, add support along the back or a lip underneath the shelf, the weight capacity increases substantially. With these additional supports, you'd likely be able to safely store 10-20kg of books without the risk of warping.

Another option to consider for improving strength is upgrading to a thicker panel such as the 26mm or 33mm versions or using a different timber, like hardwood, for the shelves. These materials are generally more resistant to bowing.

Let me know if you need more information or have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, I appreciate your assistance.

I'd actually been concerned about the strength of the glue as well as the potential of the pine to bend. The increase in timber thickness or/and a change to Beech both bring an increase in cost & I'll need 18 of these shelves. I need to think about it some more.

Again my thanks,  Peter

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Regarding the glued joins @peterr, in my experience, if the timber is bought under stress, the timber sections are the first to snap rather than the glued joints failing. The glued joints are actually stronger than the timber itself.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's good to hear Mitchell, thanks.

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects