Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rustic study with upcycled desk using gate panel

Poshrustic
Getting Established

Rustic study with upcycled desk using gate panel

Our study was old, dark and dated.  So I decided to dismantle the old one, brighten up the area and make a desk and a huge Wall Art creation!  Now it's a lovely space to work in.

Materials

Timber, various sizes, some new, some reclaimed

Old gate from the salvage yard, but up to create a feature in the desk legs

Metal hardware sprayed black (for effect)

Handles from Bunnings, painted black

Old Wrought Iron piece bought on Marketplace

Old Wine barrel metal ring

Paint

Stain

Wax

Stencil (self-made with laminate paper)

Tools

Table Saw

Mitre Saw

Nail Gun

Kreg Pocket Hole Kit

Various drills

Various hardware/fixings

Paint brushes

Steps

Step 1

A trip to the Salvage yard came up with an old gate panel.  It was the idea behind the desk i decided to make.  Once cut up, I used it as an insert in the leg panels.  I made the top separately and put the two together in situ as it was all too big to go through the door.  Accents of black metal hardware, really finish off this piece.  My first time making drawers too!

Old gate saved from the salvage yardOld gate saved from the salvage yardPlacing our my designPlacing our my designConstructing the legs and frameConstructing the legs and frameLegs are looking good!Legs are looking good!Making the top section of the deskMaking the top section of the deskStained and hardware addedStained and hardware addedFinished DeskFinished DeskOld StudyOld Study

Step 2

I made some huge wall art as a striking feature for the opposing wall. I acquired the wrought iron from Marketplace, and made a large chunky frame, and suspended the wrought iron by chains.  All finished off with a nice sofa and rug

First, lightening up the walls with some whiteFirst, lightening up the walls with some whiteIMG_3794.JPEGSetting out the frameSetting out the framePlacing the wrought iron featurePlacing the wrought iron featureUp on the wall, with some finishing touchesUp on the wall, with some finishing touches

Step 3

Just to finish off another empty wall in the space, I used a ring from an old wine barrel, and created a wall planter.  I made my own stencil using laminate paper.

IMG_3525.JPEG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stunning Rustic Study

Hello @Poshrustic 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your rustic study table project.

What a stunning rustic table, I could not agree more. The beautiful timber accents and the metal fittings just makes this table outstanding. The wall art and wall planter go so well with the rustic table. That timber finish you've applied just ties them all together. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poshrustic
Getting Established

Re: Stunning Rustic Study

Thanks for your kind words Eric, I certainly had fun making the desk and Wall Art.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Rustic study with upcycled desk using gate panel

Afternoon @Poshrustic 

Love that desk idea! Cant even narrow something down to say its the best part :smile: From the pieces of gate to the right angled bracksit all comes together to make a stylish desk :smile: It really would have been fun to build! 

Love the wall art! The white painted brickwok behind makes it pop!

Reusing things functionally is a skill that you have mastered!

Dave

Poshrustic
Getting Established

Thanks for your kind words...yes, it's all about the fun of making things, as I certainly don't make things in the traditional way, but its good to 'have a go' and see what you can achieve. And its great to re-use materials...I find they also have a lot of character which adds to the final effect.

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Love how you've used the metal gate in your desk. Looks amazing.

Thank you.  I love looking for stuff to recycle, as it often sparks an idea 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects