Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rustic dining room renovation with D.I.Y. table

Poshrustic
Getting Established

Rustic dining room renovation with D.I.Y. table

Our house was old, dark and dated.  Being in the Perth Hills, I wanted to create a rustic feel in every room.  Here in the dining room, I've made everything myself (except the dresser and the chairs), mostly from scratch.  I love the warm cosy feel that has been created.  My style is rustic, it allows me to 'have a go' as I don't have the traditional training, which usually means 'precision'. 

Materials

Timber - various sizing, some new, some reclaimed

Carbots Walnut Interior Stain for furniture

British Paints oil based stained for restaining the rafters

Skirting

Paint

Old wrought iron mats to make wall mirror/shelf

Old doors, repurposed to make wall feature

Plywood to make geometric pattern on the planter boxes

Various fixings: nails, screws, nail-gun brads

Tools

Dewalt Mitre Saw

Table Saw

Band Saw

Lathe

Kreg Pocket Hole Kit

Router

Various drills

Steps

Step 1

First job was to restain the rafters to a rich dark colour, then to paint the brick work white to make the whole room brighter, but still retaining its rustic character.

Before PhotoBefore PhotoRestaining the raftersRestaining the raftersPainting the walls whitePainting the walls whiteIMG_1853.JPEG

Step 2

My centre piece is my table.  I couldn't find what I wanted in the shops, so I made it myself.  I didn't have a lathe at this point, so couldn't turn the legs myself, so I created a leg shape using small pieces glued together and stuck to an old table leg.  I made the frame and the top, assembling them using Pocket Hole Joinery.  I added extra texture to the table top by scoring it by using a wire brush attachment on my drill. The base I painted with an aged effect, and the top I stained and waxed.

Creating the leg shapeCreating the leg shapeLegs assembled and paintedLegs assembled and paintedBase completedBase completedTop with a rustic finishTop with a rustic finishFinished TableFinished Table

Step 3

I wanted something special as a wall feature, so acquired some 2nd hand doors.  I repainted and then sanded them for a rustic finish, and then created a frame-surround out of timber and mouldings, and then a shelf for the top to put some plants and lights on.

Beautiful old doorBeautiful old doorPainted making my own chalk paintPainted making my own chalk paintSanded back to create a rustic finishSanded back to create a rustic finishI created a frame and shelfI created a frame and shelfThe finished ''door to nowhere''The finished ''door to nowhere''

Step 4

For the feature wall I wanted to champion a beautiful antique sideboard I'd acquired.  So I made a feature mirror repurposing some old wrought iron door mats.  To finish off the setting, I made some planter boxes and some bit chunky rustic candlesticks.

Firstly, paint the wrought iron matsFirstly, paint the wrought iron matsI created a frame, shelf and corbelsI created a frame, shelf and corbelsI made planter boxesI made planter boxesI made 6 chuncky rustic candlesticks on the latheI made 6 chuncky rustic candlesticks on the latheBeautiful feature wall settingBeautiful feature wall setting

Step 5

I finished off by making a wood stacker, wall planter and chunky rustic mirror and some alcove shelves.

WoodstackerWoodstackerWall PlanterWall PlanterRustic MirrorRustic MirrorAlcove ShelvingAlcove Shelving

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rustic dining room renovation with D.I.Y. table

Hi @Poshrustic,

Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful projects that combine to make an incredible dining room renovation.

Where do I start?

You've created so many wonderful pieces that fit so well with your rustic theme. From the painted brick backdrop and the stained rafters, the planter boxes, the upcycled doors and the wrought iron features, everything has been given so much thought and care. It is truly remarkable how well everything goes together, and the level of craftsmanship is genuinely impressive.

I'm particularly impressed with the table legs. Looking at them, you would have no idea that you've altered the shape because of how seamless a finish you've created.

Congratulations on an incredible renovation and once again thank you for sharing.

Jacob

Poshrustic
Getting Established

Thank you Jacob for your kind words.  I love making all sorts of things, and its great to just 'have a go' and see what you can achieve.  My way of doing things isn't very traditional, but luckily you get away with all sorts when you can just call it 'rustic' 😆

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Beautiful job you've done 😍

Thank you - I do love the rustic style - I find it very homely - I'm glad you like it 🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects