Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would you design this wall moulding?

DHC888
Just Starting Out

How would you design this wall moulding?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to design my wall for wall moulding/panelling/wainscotting.

My wall is 7.4m x 2.52m 

I like the design with the split boxes.as i drew below. My issue is that there is an aircon right in the middle of the wall. The aircon is around 30cm x 88cm and sits 5cm from the top of the wall. Would you do around it or connect it to the side of the aircon? What's the best design approach? If i stick the panelling right up against the aircon, is it going to cause any issues?

Thanks

20240823_162907.jpg

20240809_195655.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would you design this wall moulding?

Hello @DHC888 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your wainscotting. 

I vote going with your original design and that is to place the timber moulding right next to the aircon unit. As long as it is not blocking any intakes or exhaust points there should be no issue with the timber moulding right next to it. Building around it will just draw more attention to the aircon unit. Whereas if you were to naturally build it as is, the aircon unit now becomes an afterthought and does not draw attention to itself with borders around it.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their thoughts on the design.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @DHC888 

hahahahah I think I must be tired, I just spent 10mins trying to match your picture of a extar large door frame in my head and replicating it across the room around 4 times.... Insert more laughter :smile:

I like your original design and like @EricL I think you should stick to it. It will really blend in with the air con. What colour are you goint to paint the moulding? I like the way the smaller squares at the bottom draw your eyes away from the bigger rectangles and gives a nice dimension to the wall.

As long as the moulding dosnt butt up against a bit on the air con that moves I wouldnt worry. Even leaving say 15mm from air con to the timber would solve any issues.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @DHC888 

Two options here:

1. Install the panelling allowing a 10mm gap around the AC head unit. Then frame fix a small 12mm trim around the unit allowing 3-4mm space so the cover can hinge down for servicing. The hinged cover is your only concern as there is no operational issues in doing so.

2. If you would like a more seamless finish, the head unit could be removed by a qualified plumber allowing you to panel the entire wall. Just bear in mind it might be expensive as the system will need to be rebased. But ifs a very old system, then a regal is not a bad option along with a service.

I would also get a sparky to remove the GPO's (powerrpoints) and terminate them safe so you could panel over the entire wall making holes for eat cables to fit through. Then get the sparky back re-terminate them

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects