Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

angelique5
Growing in Experience

How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9867.jpeg

I noticed a bad smell in bottom of closet removed carpet as moulding and sprayed vinegar and water, but still smell, sprayed another mould cleaner , I’m wondering how to replace the bottom board ? Can I do this myself and how or is it something I’ll need a handyman’s help with, the courtyard had been flooding with heavy rains and the outside board is slightly damaged, so I’m thinking maybe water had gotten under room , I’m very limited with funds but I need it fixed so if I can get an idea on how to fix or go straight to a professional, it is very tight under that section of the house and room is against a common wall so no access, should I cut into it to see if it’s underneath moulding or just keep treating the board with mould removal products any advice would help please 🙏 

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

Afternoon @angelique5 

Thank you for the photos, as @JacobZ says it looks in a resonable condition just wet.

I dont know of insurers charging to assess claims? I would follow that up by checking your insurance documentation as much as thats a pain. Also Fair trading Australia may be able to help you out with that type of question. As to an issue long term that would be assesed by the insurer. (Ive been through a process with a water leak for a bathroom and it ended up not being covered 😕 but no fee for assesment)

I really like the idea of a blower to dry the area out as much as possible. At the very least that will aslo help narrow the issue down if something else is causing the water to be around.

Dave

angelique5
Growing in Experience

IMG_9887.jpeg

IMG_9886.jpeg

IMG_9885.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

Thank you so much for advice, I will look into the air blower hire and is this something from Bunnings or a separate company, I also have a question about what to replace all the parts that have been washed down hill with is it just sand or a specific underneath house mix as some of the structural posts are empty around parts where it’s been washed away as it’s downslope to the front of house, my other strata lady next door has told me she’s going to finally get someone to check her downpipes as she’s constantly not listening to me and with gutter guards never cleaning her gutters this is where the problem has started I feel with her consistent overflow into this area and recent weather has caused a major period of constant rains. I actually just cleaned my gutters on both sides of the house, but yet to get onto the very top which is at the front high up , at least I know mine is draining well at the back , I will do my best to use as much protective protection from spores while cleaning once I can finally get under there again, I did also noticed that a few areas might be leaking near the front small patch but I’ve contacted my plumber to come and tix when he can even though it’s not near the other area I’m glad I spotted it . 
do you think vinegar will be ok as a mould cleaning also as I know it’s supposed to kill most of mould , I really appreciate your advice as with no one here to help or family it’s very daunting and I’d like to be able to keep my unit if I can and sometimes I am ready to give up and sell but I guess no matter what there’s always issues with a home especially in this crazy weather world we live in now and humidity is extremely high perfect conditions for mould 

Good Evening @angelique5 

Your ground looks pretty good :smile: Seriously I have deeper chanels under my house. The piers that you have shown all look ok and as to the earth that has been moved by water its not bad.

Before using vinigar I would go the route with the blower. Dry it out will kill mould and then use the application @JacobZ or @EricL mentioned from Bunnings.

Fans/blowers can be hired from the Bunnings hire section. Just hit them up. Factor in gettingthem out of your car and wherethey need to be placed size wise when hiring.

As to water damage under strata law. It may be a worthwhile look up with the goverment body over strata title as to whoose responsibility it is for the guttering that is joined/causing issues.

I think you will be nicely surpprised once you get the underfloor dired with a blower/fan.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @angelique5,

Here's the link for the blower hire

As @Dave-1 mentioned, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the soil that has been removed from runoff, but it could be something to keep an eye on in case it gets worse.

Vinegar is quite effective at killing mould.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks everyone for so much great advice, my neighbour is getting plumbers to check the downspouts if any are blocked next Monday, I researched the air blower and my only concern is will it blow all the mould spores around, I crawled under again right to back common wall and it’s worse on far left side with a bit of timber that seems eaten away , so much water on ground, and extensive mould, she wants me to wait for plumbers to check before lodge claim to asses , here are some more pictures 

IMG_9945.jpeg

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_9944.jpeg

IMG_9943.jpeg

Afternoon @angelique5 

Have you contacted the strata people yet? I am unsure of how /who has responsibility for a duplex styled house. It would be listed on your insurance papers.

It makes no difference if your neighbour says wait, or not as the damage is there and you want to have it sorted. Wether it is caused from the neighbours issues or not, the claim is the first step towards it.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects