Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

angelique5
Finding My Feet

How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9867.jpeg

I noticed a bad smell in bottom of closet removed carpet as moulding and sprayed vinegar and water, but still smell, sprayed another mould cleaner , I’m wondering how to replace the bottom board ? Can I do this myself and how or is it something I’ll need a handyman’s help with, the courtyard had been flooding with heavy rains and the outside board is slightly damaged, so I’m thinking maybe water had gotten under room , I’m very limited with funds but I need it fixed so if I can get an idea on how to fix or go straight to a professional, it is very tight under that section of the house and room is against a common wall so no access, should I cut into it to see if it’s underneath moulding or just keep treating the board with mould removal products any advice would help please 🙏 

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat mould on chipboard in closet under carpet?

Hello @angelique5 

Thanks for sharing your question about treating mould on chipboard in your closet. I propose looking at using Dulux 1L PRECISION Stain & Mould Blocker. It has been specially formulated to inhibit mould and mildew growth. But for a guaranteed long-term repair, I suggest engaging the services of a builder or handy person to cut out the infested board and replacing it with fresh new flooring. It's highly probable that the handy person will be using a multitool to cut the mould infested board out of the area and will patch it with YellowTongue or similar flooring board.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @angelique5 

There is two parts to your issue, the cause and repair.

1. The cause as you mentioned is most likely from recent heavy rain flooding under the house. This needs to be rectified otherwise it's just going to happen again over time. A plumber would be the best person to call on.

2. I would take on-board @EricL recommendation to call on someone to replace just that damage section of board. It's a relatively easy job that a decent handyman could perform. He would cut the section out larger than the damaged area to the nearest floor joist (what the board is fixed to). The replace it with a new piece cut from the smallest floor board available which is around $40. The new board would be nailed to the joist and glued along all edges to seal any gaps. The board, liquid nails plus a couple of hours labour, I would expect the job should be well under $300.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @angelique5 

Im following along with @EricL and @Nailbag 's suggestions as well. Id replace the board but the problem should be fixed so it just dosnt come back to haunt you again. A plumber first as has been suggested and a handyman to replace. The board once cut will give access so you can see what state it is in. Do you know how far the nould goes?

Dave

I need to crawl underneath,it’s very hard cause it is on a slope and not much room up at the bedroom area I had a handyman who said it’s a big job and I’m thinking it’s best to get insurance people to assess the situation and take it from there as it’s just going to get worse if it keeps flooding into my courtyard, and up the wall as so close to ground 

Good Morning @angelique5 

Thats a good first step to start with. No point in doing something if its covered by insurance.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @angelique5,

As @Nailbag has said, rectifying the cause of the issue is the most important thing. If this isn't fixed, then there's no point in replacing the chipboard as it will just happen again with the next big downpour.

Speaking with your insurer about the root cause of the issue is definitely going to be a good first step.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects