Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace rotten window trims?

flummoxed01
Just Starting Out

How to replace rotten window trims?

Hi, 

any tips how do I replace these rotten wood trims please? Not sure if they are called trims but its the wood next to glass. Thanks 

IMG_9044.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace rotten window trims?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @flummoxed01. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a window frame.

How rotten is the timber and is the frame holding the glass compromised? If it's only a trim piece on the frame then it could be carefully pryed away and replaced. If the rot is not significant or structural in nature, then you could remove the degraded timber and use wood hardener on the remaining. You'd then apply putty to re-establish what timber was removed.

You must be exceptionally careful when working around glass, as one tool slip could cause it to shatter. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear.

If there is structural damaged and rot to the frame, then I would encourage you to enlist the services of a professional to perform the repair and reconstruct the frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to replace rotten window trims?

Thanks Mitchell- just the trims. What are my options on what sort of trims we should get? Ta

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects