Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fixing a couple of old lamps?

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

How to fixing a couple of old lamps?

Hi-

id like to rejuvenate 2 table lamps (see pictures below)

The housing for the switch and lightbulb socket has cracked/broken in the first one, the wiring seems sound and the lamp works ok.

Lamp 1 

Judith2_0-1717838432148.jpeg

The second one has been rewired, but still has an old switch. The switch doesn’t seem to connect, to turn on the lamp.

Judith2_1-1717838622611.jpeg

All advice welcome!

Thank you!

Judith

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing a couple of old lamps

Hi @Judith2,

Thank you for your question.

I'd like to start by saying you should take extreme caution when repairing anything of an electrical nature. Ensure it is not powered when any kind of repair is taking place and under no circumstances should you attempt repairs on wiring.

For this reason, I would not suggest attempting a D.I.Y. repair to the second lamp. My suggestion would be to have a look for a local electrical repair technician to carry out this repair for you.

The first lamp, however, as the repair is not of an electrical nature, I can certainly offer some advice. 

It's still prudent to inspect the wiring to ensure no damage has occurred, and if you find anything worrying, do not proceed with a repair.

It looks like the light bulb connection is made of PVC, so a plumbing glue such as this Icon Plastics 180g White PVC Solvent Welding Cement should be able to stick the broken pieces back together.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

Re: Fixing a couple of old lamps

Thanks Jacob-

I’ll take your advice. 

believe me, I’m very sensitive to risks of electricity-I electrocuted myself once- flew off the stepstool and lay on the ground for a bit while my brain reorganized itself and told me I was very sort of idiot! 
Cheers,

Judith

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects