Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix timber furniture scratches?

DIYHaveaCrack
Building a Reputation

How to fix timber furniture scratches?

I'm wanting to sell my bedroom suite (a bed base and headboard, 2 side tables and a chest of drawers) and it is in good condition however there are some scratches and marks (particularly on the chest of drawers) which I would like to fix before I put them to market. It really isn't worth my effort to sand back and re-stain whole items (it's more of a time thing) so I wondered if there was some kind of 'cosmetic' fix I could apply. I don't mind some elbow grease so if I had to sand a restain sections that would be fine (buty then I guess it would be a matter of matching the existing stain. Thoughts?

20240928_153857_resized.jpg 20240928_153910.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cosmetic fix of furniture scratches

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

Thank you for your question about fixing scratches on your furniture.

Unfortunately, matching timber stain colours is very difficult and anything besides sanding back and re-staining would be a case of trial and error.

You could try using touch-up crayons such as those produced by Waxstix or even this variety pack from Timbermate, but I'm not certain how well it would blend with your current stain. Worth a shot though.

Allow me to tag @arfabuck to see if he has any advice he can offer.

Jacob

arfabuck
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for the tag Jacob.

For a quick and efficient clean up job that covers all the bases, I refer my clients to:-

https://www.howardproducts.com.au/products/wood-care/restor-a-finish.html

Use the 'Neutral' choice which will blend in your existing stain colour.

I have yet to get negative feedback from any client after 12 years of referring it.

As far as I am concerned, there is no other product on the market as good, and the only one that does me out of business.

I have no affiliation with Howards but give credit where credit is due.

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll let you know how I go!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects