Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to anchor furniture to the wall to prevent tipping?

damian22
Getting Established

How to anchor furniture to the wall to prevent tipping?

Hi all, I need to secure a large bookshelf to our living room wall - which is plasterboard - to prevent it tipping over if a child climbs on it. It's the Kallax 182x182cm bookshelf from Ikea which is quite heavy - about 80kg. Once you take our skirting boards into account, the back of the shelf sits 3cm from the wall.

IMG_6091 a.jpgIMG_6092 b.jpg

I have a packet of these furniture straps: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dreambaby-child-safety-furniture-wall-safety-strap-2-pack_p4210842?regio...

But the screws supplied inside are 50mm - is this too long to go into plasterboard?

IMG_6102 d.jpg

Also, what sort of anchor or wall plug would I need to use? Or if it’s going into the stud, are wall anchors not required? In store, I was recommended these: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-6-x-38mm-universal-anchor-6-pack_p2260441

...but I was a little unsure. I'll end up with double the amount of screws I need and the screws in that pack are just as long, and quite a lot longer than the anchor - so are the screws designed to stick out from the wall? That's not what I want.

Alternatively - the Ikea kit did include two wall brackets, which could theoretically be placed in this sort of way:

IMG_6104 c.jpg

But I'm unsure if this would be sufficient for the weight of the bookshelf - perhaps four would be needed? - or what kind of screw/wall anchor combo I'd need for this option.

Could anyone offer advice on the best solution?

Cheers

Damian

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects