Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to butt into cove cornice?

MGusto
Having an Impact

How to butt into cove cornice?

Hi there

I have had a pantry installed in my kitchen and as you can see from the photo, the job requires 90mm cove cornice installed around the bulkhead.

I do not want to cut into the existing cornice, but but into it with what I think is called  a scribe joint. I watched a video on how to cut  a scribe but I just cant picture how this works with a cornice.

Can anybody out there help me out.

I got a quote from a gyprocker who normally charges $450 minimum but he would do the job for $350 without painting. :unhappy:

For a $10 piece of cornice I am gonna do this myself!

Cheers

Mike

PS

I have a needle file(?) that can take the shape of the cornice. Will this help?

PXL_20240903_033154046.jpg

PXL_20240830_035633490[1].jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to butt into cove cornice?

Hi @MGusto 

Thanks for sharing your question about cutting your cornice. I propose trying this technique, cut your cornice at a 45-degree angle slanted to the right as if it going to be installed in a standard method. Gather two regular pencils and tape them together. Place the cornice on your ceiling and push it right up against the existing cornice. Using your double pencil put it right against the cornice on the left and trace the shape onto the loose cornice. Use a coping saw to cut the shape you've traced. You'll need to sand the edge in order to get an exact fit.

Here is a brochure regarding installation: Installing Gyprock Cornice

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MGusto 

cutting both internal and external cornice cuts is very confusing even for plasterers if they aren't paying attention. Most use jigs and then have to concentrate they set it up correctly. I've learnt a lot from watching this guy on YouTube as he shows each step fully.

Hope this helps

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @MGusto 

Ahh cornice the stuff that does my head in.... :smile: Tho if you like puzzles then you will have fun! Seriously getting it worked in your mind really the lighbulb moment is worth it and you have $350 plus painting  you can save :laugh: (crazy quote for sure)

I went one step further to make it harder and made up my own cornice from two pieces.... Looking back I could have done it easier lol

Garage lining for stud walls stage 2 (Cornice and skirting boards) is the project, I tried a variety of tools, some I had not used before :smile:

In the end I found a copping saw very handy to give shapped cuts on uneven surfaces, With plaster it will be a lot easier.

I found that corners are not equal (I did the framing even lol)

For the cost of a length of plaster and your time, Id like to know what you will spend your saved dollars on?  :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Dave @Dave-1 

"Ahh cornice the stuff that does my head in"

Same here. I tried it 23 years ago with just the mitres - and wasted a length of cornice. I had my father's old jig (below) and thought "this'll be easy!"

But no. Eventually got it sorted - as it was all to do with how it was positioned in the jig.

20240904_094217.jpg

MGusto
Having an Impact

Thanks for all the responses - appreciated

Re @EricL suggestion. That 45 cut was the first thing I tried and this is the result

PXL_20240904_025350943.jpg

So I am not sure how the two pencil trick works, since the loose piece does not butt up against the existing cornice.

Re @Noyade perhaps if you remember how the cornice needs to be positioned in the mitre box that would be greatly appreciated.

The pencil marks on the cornice are myself playing around with the needle gauge.

I dont want to keep cutting hit and miss but hopefully wait until a solution is posted. (The cut doesnt need to be perfect because I can bog it up with filler)

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MGusto 

You are halfway there my friend! Place the pencil set in parallel on the cornice on the left, using the cornice attached as a guide follow/trace the shape of the cornice while the tip of the pencil is on the loose cornice. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @MGusto 

How about lining your straight piece up withthe bit on the pillar of the wall and then transfering the curve over to the new piece.

01 04-09-2024b.jpg

So slide the new piece up in front so the whole piece is actually covering the curve of the existing cornice, then behind from our viewing angle you mark the rear of the cornice's curve. Then either cut with a saw/mitersaw or copping saw.

I took a fair few times and a load of frustration but eventually it started making sense to me.

Dave

MGusto
Having an Impact

Thank you

I am not sure that it will achieve the 45 you need for the corner????

MGusto
Having an Impact

Is this what you mean? Unfortunately you cant see the tips of the pencils and it is difficult to get the correct angle so the lead makes contact with the cornice. (Excuse the hand - it's what blood thinners and prednisolone does to your skin)

PXL_20240904_045942138.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects