Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a sofa table?

LuLu2
Finding My Feet

How to build a sofa table?

Hi, I want to make a really narrow table to sit behind the sofa. Similar to the image below. It would just be for drinks etc. Needs to be about 90cm high, 300cm wide and I'm thinking about 20cm deep. I don't have many tools and live in an apartment, so looking for a design with minimal construction required! I was thinking of using a couple of lengths of pine for the top and 2-3 90cm pieces as 'legs'. It doesn't need to be free standing as it will be wedged between the sofa and the wall. I could possibly wall mount it too (although the walls are concrete so I'd rather not!).

1000001822.png

 As it needs to be fairly long, looking for ideas on the best way to join the 'top' pieces. Any other advice also welcome! Thanks in advance.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sofa Table

Hi @LuLu2,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Due to the length of the table, I'd suggest speaking to the team at the Trade Desk and ordering a 3m length of 235 x 19mm DAR Pine for the top of the table. This would erase the need for any form of joining for the top.

You could then use the same profile of timber for the uprights, or you could use 184 x 19mm DAR Pine for the legs to have the overhang like in your inspiration images.

Please see the below render as an example of how I propose you construct this so that all the materials are in line with our cutting policies and can be cut in store and simply screwed together.

This design uses a 3-metre length of the 235 x 19 pine, as well as 5.6 lineal metres of the 184 x 19mm pine.

Note the two shelves at the base of the structure. These are to horizontally brace the uprights 100mm up from the ground to prevent the legs from racking and instability. 

To connect everything together, I propose using 2 x Zenith 10 - 8 x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws at every connection point.

This will require you to use a drill to predrill pilots and then install the screws. I would suggest using a Sutton Tools 3mm Viper Jobber Drill Bit to predrill holes for the screws and then to countersink the holes with a Craftright 3 Piece Countersink Bit Set

You can then paint or coat the timber to your liking. My suggestion would be a stain and varnish such as this Bondall 250ml Walnut Monocel Stain And Varnish

Also, allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any advice or design ideas, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @Herrenovacation, @RenoRach.

Let me know what you think and if you would like further advice, clarification or alterations to my above design, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @LuLu2 

I like your idea :smile: Very handy thing to have for sure!

I also like @JacobZ 's mock up of the design and the use of pine DAR, It will make it lighter and easier to work with then the Option I was going to suggest. 

Option 2 (I think the first option is better but just to add to the choices for you)

I was going to suggest to make a frame up using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m (A large rectangulat frame with a vertical piece in the middle to stop any flexing) pretty much along the lines of JacobZ's suggestion and then using 140 x 19mm 5.7m SpecRite Merbau Joined Set Length Pre-Oiled Decking (I am pretty sure it comers in shorter lengths but width wise was what I was after) To actually give it a nice face look On three sides. The bottom can just stay the pine Framing..

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LuLu2 I think the design that @JacobZ has provided is a perfect solution. My only suggestion would be to consider an all in one pilot hole and countersinking bit.

Regards, Nailbag

That's awesome. Thank you! My only issue is getting a 3m length home......

Thanks. I may have to go with a centre frame if I can't get the 3m piece home

A combo of both ideas!

Nice. I don't know they existed!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LuLu2 

I just thought I'd let you know that we have trailers, utes, and vans for hire if you need to get something home. We also have a delivery service that a helpful team member at your local store can help book for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @LuLu2 

With either @JacobZ or my idea you could always have a "joining" piece in the middle (sits on the underside of teh drink surface and on the top side of the bottom plate on the floor. That way you could get the bits home :smile: I have measured my car so many times and am always trying to figure out how to get things home.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you have a friend that has a vechicle thatc an fit, give them $20 for a trip to Bunnings :smile: I have done this with a mate and his ute but gave him $40 lol You know when "bribes or incentives" are offered and they look down at the hand with the money but dont move... lol yeah he did that.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LuLu2 that's a great suggestion by @MitchellMc on getting delivery. Plus that gives you that 2nd person to help carry it in which may prove a challenge being so long without knocking in to a wall or doorway.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects