Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cupboard within the wall?

PVC
Just Starting Out

How to build a cupboard within the wall?

I am planning to build a prayer room. It takes most of the space If I put the cupboard against the wall. My idea is to cut open a part of a wall (the wall is shared between 2 rooms) and build a cupboard. I have attached a image for reference.

IMG_2647.png

I would like some ideas and tools and materials needed for this project. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cupboard within the wall

Hello @PVC 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a cupboard in your wall.

Cutting into your wall is a bit involved as there may be electrical wiring and plumbing running through it. Plus, the wall itself might be load bearing and if it is, only a builder will be able to modify it. 

Would it be ok to just mount the wall cabinet to the wall itself instead of setting it inside the wall? If it is, then all that's needed is to locate the studs in the wall and screw the cabinet onto those studs. There are many wall cabinets to choose from and it all depends on what your needs are.

Can you please let us know what cabinet size you are after? I'll then be able to give you recommendations on how to mount it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PVC
Just Starting Out

Re: How to build a cupboard within the wall?

I still like the idea of putting a cupboard within the wall. Can I use stud to find the wiring and it’s not load bearing wall. 

either way I am planning to mount 900mm cupboard with 600 height. I do need suggestions with depth I am thinking 300mm 

I have built cupboards in the closet with melamine sheets. Is there any suggestions for light weight material to try. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a cupboard within the wall?

Hi @PVC 

The good news is that the typical depth of a wall cabinet is around 300mm, if you include the door it comes to around 320mm. The wall cabinets do come in 900mm widths, but they are taller and measure up to 720mm.

As I mentioned before there a few choices when it comes to wall cabinets. For example, the Flatpax Utility 900mm 2 Door Wall Cupboard has a measurement of 900mm (w) x 720mm (h) x 320mm (d). This includes the hinges, doorhandles and screws. It only comes in one colour and has a matt finish.

A better-quality cabinet is the Kaboodle set, there is a selection of door finishes, and you can even order the door raw so that you can paint it to the colour that you like.

If you're keen on building it yourself melamine sheets are ideal to make the cabinet carcass. You can even use the same material for the doors. 

There are several types of stud finder, and some can detect electrical and plumbing fittings behind the wall. I suggest visiting your local store and see which one will suite your needs.

In the interest of safety, any electrical or plumbing work must be carried out by a registered trade person.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects