Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a TV unit?

Abi
Just Starting Out

How to build a TV unit?

I am looking at who can point me in the right direction to achieve this.

What kind of wood and the right tools to DIY this .

1000105278.jpg

1000106264.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a TV unit?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Abi. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a TV unit.

Building a TV unit similar to the one in the image is a detailed project, but it’s entirely achievable with the right planning and tools. To start, consider using the Kaboodle or Lugna cabinetry range to create the lower drawer section. These modular systems allow for flexibility in size and configuration, making them a practical choice for a DIY project. 

The panel behind the television creates a floating effect and will require constructing a box frame from structural timbers like pine. This frame will be mounted to the wall, with a veneered MDF panel attached on top. Staining a plywood panel to match the wood tone shown in the image will give it a polished, cohesive look.

For the shelving to the right of the unit, Tasmanian oak or stained pine would be ideal, as they are sturdy and can be finished to match the rest of the design. Once you’ve selected your cabinetry and wood, it’s essential to create a detailed sketch of the layout, which will help you determine the sizes of each component.

As for tools, you’ll need basic woodworking equipment like a circular saw for cutting panels and timber, a drill for securing the box frame and cabinetry, and a spirit level to ensure everything is mounted evenly. You’ll also need a sander to smooth any rough edges and prepare the wood for staining, as well as measuring tape, wood screws, and possibly L-brackets for additional support.

Finally, when it comes to installing the shelves and cabinetry, be sure to secure everything into wall studs to ensure the unit can handle the weight of the TV and decorative items.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Abi
Just Starting Out

Re: How to build a TV unit?

Thank you for this detail.

I am sure going to follow your guide and share picture of it

Really helpful 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects