Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I retro-fit insulation correctly before plasterboard?

WhiteWoolf
Community Newcomer

How do I retro-fit insulation correctly before plasterboard?

Hi there, we have a raked ceiling in a small living room. The old plasterboard has failed due to water damage and a bad paint job a few years back. As there is no insulation between the ceiling and tiled roof, we have decided to retrofit insulation and new plasterboard over the top. We have installed the wall track and furring channel 90mm down from the existing ceiling as we wanted to retain as much of the exposed beams as possible. We have Bradford sound break insulation R2.5 which is 88mm thick. I've just realised that tucking the insulation behind the furring channel will create quite a gap between the insulation and new plasterboard. Should we run the insulation the other way between the furring channel and use some strapping to hold in place so the insulation is a tight fit between the plasterboard? What should we fix the strapping to? Thank you :smile:insulation 1.jpginsulation 2.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects