Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Entryway upgrade with bench seat

KellieN
Cultivating a Following

Entryway upgrade with bench seat

I turned an old timber window into a mirror and converted a wide bench seat into two narrow ones to place against an entrance wall.  With a few added accessories,  a blank entryway was turned into a practical and welcoming entrance. 

Materials

Sanding pads

Tiles

Mirror effect spray 

Liquid nails 

White grout

Picture hooks

Beeswax polish 

Wood stain

Satin paint

Paint brush and rags

Tools

Ryobi sander

Tile cutter

Hand saw

Steps

Step 1

Sand the paint from the window leaving random amounts to give a distressed look. Apply mirror effect spray to the back of the glass.

Screenshot_20240702_133724_Gallery.jpg

Step 2

Using a tile cutter, cut narrow strips of tile to fit into the recessed area of the window. Having never used a tile cutter before, I found it extremely difficult to cut thin pieces so I broke a few tiles. I ended up still using them as a mosiac effect. Use liquid nails to attach to the window and once dry, apply grout. Apply Beeswax polish to timber, attach hooks and then attach to wall 

20240713_191803.jpg

Step 3

Separate the bench seat by sawing the wood joins. Sand the top, then apply stain using rags. Paint the rest of the seat with satin paint. Apply Beeswax to the stained top only  

Screenshot_20240702_134604_Gallery.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Entryway upgrade with bench seat

Hi @KellieN,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful upcycling project.

Using an old timber window to create an extremely unique mirror was a great idea. The distressed look with the beeswax finish looks absolutely marvellous.

The bench seats look great with a new coat of white, some stain on the top and coat of beeswax to bring out the shine. 

You've styled your entrance way beautifully, and that peace lily looks like it's thriving in its new setting.

Congratulations on a fantastic project.

Jacob

KellieN
Cultivating a Following

Re: Entryway upgrade with bench seat

Thank you Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects