Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Curtains or doors to cover walk in wardrobe?

ramonrodriguez
Finding My Feet

Curtains or doors to cover walk in wardrobe?

Hi I am trying to set up a study in my walk in wardrobe. I need to cover the shelf’s behind me for video calls. I was thinking doors or blinds or curtains. It’s a L shape wardrobe what can I buy and install that’s not too hard or expensive. Ideally roof to floor cover but not mandatory 

IMG_4416.jpeg

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: curtains or doors to cover walk in wardobe items

Hello @ramonrodriguez 

I propose installing a strip of timber specifically an 89 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m on the very top shelf of your wardrobe cabinetry. I suggest fixing it in place with Zenith 8G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 50 Pack. Make sure to drill pilot holes to prevent cracking the timber and your wardrobe panels. Once you have the panel in place, I recommend using Pillar 25/32mm Brushed Chrome Adjustable Universal Curtain Rod Bracket.

There are a number of curtain rods you can choose from along with blackout eyelet curtains of various lengths. I suggest visiting the store so you can see what's available and what will suite your needs. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much. This is the curtain option. I see another member did something similar, how hard is it to do the photo attached? And how?  This is an example photo, I have a L shape so hope you get the drift 

IMG_4417.jpeg

Hi @ramonrodriguez,

Kaboodle, our main cabinetry supplier offers solutions for cabinet doors that can be tailored to your wardrobe. Doors can be ordered to your size with a variety of options for finishes. 

I'd suggest taking some measurements of each cabinet and heading in-store to the Special Orders desk. You will need 3 standard doors, with one bi-folding door for the corner. 

I'd suggest bringing your photo and inspiration image with you, along with the overall dimensions of each space requiring a door. 

The Special Orders team will be able to assist with designing and ordering a solution that will work for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

IMG_4430.jpeg

Thanks EricL. 

I am going to do go curtains route, I want to explore doing the curtains from the roof. What is the best way to do this and what would you suggest purchasing. I want ideally roof to floor curtains. Would you suggest rod or flexi curtain track? It’s a L shaped wardrobe. Attached inspo

Hi @ramonrodriguez,

2500mm is probably the longest curtain you'll be able to pick up off the shelf, which won't be enough to reach from the roof to the floor. You might like to speak to our Special Order team at your nearest Bunnings store to see if there is something that could be custom-made to suit your needs. Either that, or you could run them from the top shelf down.

Most curtains are designed to be attached to walls and include fittings to suit. Attaching the cabinetry shouldn't be too much of an issue, and as @EricL mentioned, installing a timber plinth across the space would be helpful so you don't have to install only into the 16mm thick cabinet timber.

A fairly minimalistic rail system that can be installed on your ceiling can be created with Pillar 25mm x 3.0m Black Curtain Rod, Sandleford 25mm Black Rod Fitting Pillar Ends and a Sandleford 25mm Black Fitting Rod Pillar Centre so the rod doesn't sag on the longer stretch. To connect these rod ends to the ceiling, you could use Gripit Green Self Drive Plasterboard Fixings, or better still, screw them directly into the ceilings timber framework.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects