Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

charcuterie board

tlt7
Just Starting Out

charcuterie board

Can I turn this into a charcuterie board?

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: charcuterie board

Hi @tlt7,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, pine is generally not recommended for use as a charcuterie board because it is a softwood. Softwoods like pine are more porous than hardwoods, meaning they can absorb moisture and bacteria more easily. They are also more prone to scratches and dents, which can harbour bacteria and affect the board's longevity.

For a food-safe charcuterie board, hardwoods are much better options because they are denser, less porous, and more resistant to wear.

This SpecRite 600 x 600 x 18mm Merbau Multi-Use Panel is likely a better option once coated with a food-safe product such as Gilly's Food Safe Wax or Gilly's Chopping Board Oil, however, you would need to let me confirm with SpecRite whether the glue used in this product is suitable for use around food.

I will get in touch with SpecRite when they reopen tomorrow and get back to you as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects