Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing Streaks and protecting newly painted kitchen benchtop

DaniH
Community Newcomer

Removing Streaks and protecting newly painted kitchen benchtop

I repainted a laminate kitchen benchtop using the Dulux Renovation Range (primer and gloss topcoat). I found the topcoat drying in seconds and I couldn't get a nice even finish without some roller streaks even though I followed the instructions to the letter. As I rolled with my microfibre roller it was impossible to get the right amount of paint and do a finishing stoke, as the paint would already be drying and repeating in any areas would create streaks. You have to be lightning fast!

I know it isn't too bad, but I would like a perfect finish. I have read bad reviews of using the gloss coat in the same range, so I don't want to use that. So far, I have sanded, sugar soaped, cleaned with mould cleaner, washed again and prepped with primer twice then top coated FOUR times and I'm still not happy with the streaking. I would like advice on my next plan. Would it be okay to lightly sand back the roller marks then coat with Cabots clear satin water-based CFP floor?  It was recommended to me, and it sounds like a good way to fix the roller marks but also keep this bench indestructible and scratch/dent proof in the future. It is about 24 hours old, and can I place the Cabots on now, or do I have to wait until it completely hardens (recommended is 7 days). 

20241024_063018.jpg20241024_063025.jpg20241024_063056.jpg20241024_063105.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing Streaks and protecting newly painted kitchen benchtop

Hello @DaniH 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing the streaks on your benchtop.

Please do not use the Cabots clear coat on the Dulux Renovation paint as they are not compatible. Please allow me to contact Dulux technical regarding your query and see what they have to say regarding the streaking on your benchtop. We'll be sending an email to Dulux and as soon as we get a response, we'll get back to you. 

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects