Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove residue under new kitchen sink

MaxB
Getting Established

Remove residue under new kitchen sink

Have new double stainless-steel sink installed in kitchen and have some residue left behind under sink. 1.jpg2.jpg

What would be best approach to remove?

Thanks

Mike

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove residue under new kitchen sink

Hi @MaxB,

Thank you for your question about removing residue from your new stainless steel sink.

It looks like the residue might be adhesive from a sticker that was attached to the sink. Is that correct?

If so, I'd suggest using De-Solv-it Sticky Spot and Stain Remover and steel wool to remove the residue. 

Apply the De-Solv-it, wait 30 seconds to a minute and then in a circular motion, rub the steel wool over the residue, applying a small amount of force to remove it.

You may need to use a damp cloth to remove any of the leftover De-Solv-it.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MaxB
Getting Established

To be honest it's a brand-new apartment so no idea what it came from but was like that since we moved in.

It is a bit sticky when touching with hand so would agree might have been left from some adhesive from a sticker.

it appears under sink is painted or coated with something? which option of steel wool would be best option to use?

Thanks

Mike

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MaxB,

If the underside of the sink is painted or coated, you might like to start by applying the De-Solv-it and using one of the non-scratch scourers that I can see in your second photo.

It's fairly likely that this will be sufficient to remove the residue. 

If it doesn't work, I'd suggest using the super-fine steel wool.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

MaxB
Getting Established

Awesome thanks Jacob :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects