Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted kitchen cabinets

Aaina
Having an Impact

Painted kitchen cabinets

As a first home buyer, we were always excited to execute DIYs and give makeover to our home as we wanted. Most of our Kitchen area including cabinets, slab and floor were in white tones though it look good but not what we wanted.

Inspired from Bunnings and Dulux paint collection we finally agree to re paint our cabinets and Island Grey and add some led lights to it. 

It took 2 person and around 3 days and cost us approx $270 for the complete makeover that we thoroughly enjoyed. Thankyou to Bunnings for for your expert advice helping us choose the best colour for our DIY project.

Before picture:

IMG_7769.jpeg

Final result:

IMG_7774.jpeg

Some more:

IMG_7771.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

Step1: We took out all the cabinets doors and their handles

Step 2

Step 2: We applied masking tapes behind the cabinet doors, on the wall corners and floor to protect unwanted paint

Step 3

Step 3: We did sanding to all the cabinet doors and Island to make them even and throughly cleaned the surface later

Step 4

Step 4: Then we applied one layer of primer using roller brushes and left it for drying overnight

Step 5

Step 5: Later we applied the first coat of Dulux Renovation range for cabinet doors in Signature colour and again left it drying for around 5-6 hours 

Step 6

Step 6: Upon drying first coat of paint, we did bit of sanding to even out the paint, cleaned them and applied second coat of paint, left it to dry for around 5-6hrs

Step 7

Step 7: Finally we removed all the masking tapes from the cabinets doors, cleaned them and fitted it back to the shelves. Also removed rest of the tapes from wall corners and floor.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painted kitchen cabinets

Hello @AnirbanM 

Thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen cabinet doors. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your damaged door? This will give our members an idea of its condition. We can then make recommendations weather it can still be painted, or it needs replacement.

Having it done by a professional will always carry extra cost, but the advantage is that it will be done in a short amount of time, and you get a professionally finished door. Doing it yourself is the economical way to repaint your door.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint cabinet doors with Dulux Renovation Range.

If you need a hand posting the photo of the damaged kitchen door, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AnirbanM
Getting Established

Hi @EricL,

Thanks for your reply, not the kichen door but the side cabinet of the bench top, have attached a photo. If you look closely then you will notice a swelling at the bottom part. Will it be possible to sand it off and paint it?

Thanks,

Anirban 

20240717_161943.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnirbanM 

Thank you for posting that photo of the damaged cabinet. Sanding it down could get tricky as the floor might get scratched because of how close it is. Is this panel inside or outside the dishwasher space? If the panels swelling is not immediately visible you could just paint over it. But you would need to silicone seal the bottom so that no more moisture enters that area.

The ideal solution of course is to remove the damaged panel and replace it with a new one. Once the new panel is in place it must be properly sealed with silicone to prevent the same type of damage from occurring. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @AnirbanM 

I dont think you will be able to sand it down, once water gets into that type of timber it will swell 😕 

I would remove it and replace it. If you look on the inside of your bench/cabinet you should see some screws going through to it. The panel should be a finishing panel and is just screwed to the end of a cabinet to make it look pretty.  Kaboodle Gloss White Base End Panel is an example of what I mean.

Dave

AnirbanM
Getting Established

20240718_115545.jpg

 Sorry, I supposed to send you this photo, the affected areas are not the dishwasher panel, the panels that supports the bench top those need some repair. What do you suggest?

Thanks, 

Anirban 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @AnirbanM 

If you are refering to that shiny panel on the left hand side of the photo it is a "cover" panel or end panel. It dosnt/shouldnt be carrying weight. The actual cupboard inside carrys the weight down to either a plinth or to adjustable feet. I do agree that it looks like it carrys the weight but nope :smile: It had me confused years ago when I was building my kitchen. \

Is there a chance you can show us a photo of the cabinet from the side the fridge is on? You should see the end panel, then a cupboard frame of some kind if you open the doors. If the dishwasher is there then there should be something that this end panel attaches to.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnirbanM,

As @Dave-1 has mentioned, the swelling is not something that can be sanded through or really repaired. You'd be looking at removing and replacing the panels. If there hasn't been a leak within the cabinet, then the moisture exposure could be due to an un-sealed bottom edge of the panel and contact with water used when mopping the floor.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects