Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I start building this cabinet?

Marvinja
Finding My Feet

How would I start building this cabinet?

Hi all,

I've recently moved into a new apartment and I've been thinking about how I can fill out the place. I have some unused space underneath the breakfast bar that I want to use for storage but in my search for furniture I couldn't find any that would fit flush to the bench and so I decided to build my own. I have been watching some YouTube videos and reading articles but I'm still clueless as to what is required to build something like this. I'd like to preface I am a beginner and that this is my first woodworking project so I'll try to provide as much detail as I can. Any advice will be great!

Here's a diagram of my idea and a reference photo of our kitchen:

Kitchen Bench ReferenceKitchen Bench ReferenceCabinet ReferenceCabinet Reference

Kitchen Cabinet PrototypeKitchen Cabinet Prototype

Here are a few questions that I have about the project:

• What kind of wood would I use to build the cabinet? I wanted to go for something darker (see below for some references)
    • Where and how can I get this wood?
  • Can Bunnings cut the wood for you or will I need to cut it myself?
    • If they do cut wood, will Bunnings help me with the measurements or will I need to provide a cut list?
  • I don't really like the colour of the yellow-y wood behind the cabinet (probably some sort of particle board). Would painting it be a good option?
  • I was thinking of getting a circular saw and a router. What other tools will I need?

HIMLEKOK-NORDREVIK3450e5fa4a9b4a972e7c89b86bd81daf5e0ab8dd7109a5faeb7a625d0f797ecb168c

I have a kitchen with some shadow line cabinets so I wanted to continue with that design pattern. I also want to eventually replace the wood in my kitchen with a darker wood than the one I currently have.

Let me know what I need to know before I start this project :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I start building this cabinet?

Hello @Marvinja 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building your cabinets.

You've done very well with your diagrams! I suggest taking it one step further and doing your diagram one panel at a time. I recommend keeping this simple rule in mind when doing your panel drawing. Which panels overlap one another and will the panel be seen externally. 

Generally, you can build the entire assembly out of pine timber, this will allow you to stain and varnish the finish to the colour that you like. Another option is to use MDF on the interior part of the cabinetry, these are the panels that will not be seen and are covered by doors and outer panels made of pine.

Another material you can use is CUSTOMpine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm White Matt Carcass Particleboard MR. A handy material to use for cabinet carcasses, but it must be covered up because of its white colour. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be put together.

There is no strict rule to cabinet assembly. It can be done on a per cabinet basis, or you can assemble it as a whole with dividers. The design is totally up to you.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Marvinja you have done an excellent job with your cardboard design. I would follow along the lines of what @EricL has provided but using 12mm A grade marine ply. I've used this on several occasions as it has a very finished surface with a nice fine grain to it that will allow you to stain it to your desired finish.

Bunnings will not be able to provide you with a cutting service to this scale and accuracy and very very dedicated timber yards offer this, but it doesn't come cheap. So, to cut the boards I would recommend a track saw as this will provide very accurate rip and cross cuts and still have the tool to use for your other projects. They are very simple and most importantly very safe to use.

Other tools include a combination square, tape measure and pencil for marking out. A drill with a countersinking drill bit.  I would watch a few Kaboodle cabinet assemble videos as this will give you some idea on the process. One thing to note that @EricL pointed out is the assemble processes with any overlaps etc. Once all the pieces are cut there will be an order to which you will need to work out of which pieces to fix together. You might do a trial run first and then reassemble using a wood glue to assist the screws. 

Hope that helps, Regards, Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Marvinja 

That would be a nice way of using some space!

Two options come to mind, you could use the measurements and go to the special orders desk and order the cabinet sections as you would for a kitchen setup (The depth is the only thing that may be hard to do) I see 4 carcuss and 6 doors needed. Then you would attach them all together with screws.

Second option, you go to the kitychen section and see what they have, you may find existing cabinets that you can stack lego wise to nmake up your storage.

Note *** When figuring your height, leave 40mm for ease of movement under the bench and accommodate any feet, floor rails you may use. The doors you choose can be whatever the kitchen range show (havnt checked them out in recent time :smile:

Love that mockup by the way!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects