Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to panel my kitchen bench?

vanessalangley
Just Starting Out

How to panel my kitchen bench?

Hi, just wondering if it would be possible to panel my kitchen bench directly onto the existing surface. Thanks 

IMG_1387.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to panel my kitchen bench?

Hello @vanessalangley 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen benchtop.

When you say panel your kitchen bench, are you referring to re-laminating your kitchen benchtop surface? If you are, there are some conditions that must be met in order to allow you to re-laminate the benchtop.

The surface must be flat and free of damage, large portions with missing laminate must be repaired first before putting on the new laminate surface. The edge of the benchtop must be square and not rounded, bullnose edging can't be manually resurfaced.  

If you meet these conditions, then it would be possible to re-laminate the surface of your benchtop. If you've not done this before, I suggest engaging the services of a builder that has experience in doing this type of revamp. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to panel my kitchen bench?

Hi @vanessalangley,

It sounds like you might be thinking of something along the lines of these fantastic projects contributed by @ProjectPete: Kitchen island EasyVj panelling and Bamboo panelling on kitchen island. If so, you can totally apply them over your existing surface and it's an awesome and simple way to change up the look of your kitchen. 

If you have a certain panel in mind I can provide detailed advice, but in general, you'd scratch up the existing laminate or surface so adhesive can adhere, place the panel which has been cut-to-size in position and then screw or nail it into place. The fixings will hold in position until the glue dries.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to put a fixing through the front if it's going to ruin the aesthetics. I'm keen to hear more about the type of panelling you wish to use and provide further assistance.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects