Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop disconnected dishwasher leaking?

ny
Just Starting Out

How to stop disconnected dishwasher leaking?

Hi, I have just disconnected my dishwasher as it's being replaced with a new one tomorrow..however, the pipe that's connected to the dishwasher continues to leak. Do you know if that is the pump that activates the valve from the pipe seen in the first image?  The tap is open but no water is flowing out. So does the dishwasher activate this to let the water out of the pipe?  Thanks 

1000042988.jpg

1000042989.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop disconnected dishwasher leaking?

Hello @ny 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your dishwasher connection.

Just a friendly reminder that any plumbing work must be carried out by a licensed plumber for safety and compliance. 

It is a bit of a worry if water is not coming out of your dishwasher tap. It's possible that the dishwasher tap is faulty and needs to be replaced. There appears to be a one-way valve attached, but this should not hinder the water coming out as it's designed to stop water from flowing in the opposite direction. If after connecting the new dishwasher hose no water comes out, it's highly probable that the dishwasher tap will need to be replaced.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop disconnected dishwasher leaking?

Hi @ny,

Just to clarify, any water leaking out of the pipe that is still connected to your dishwasher is just residual water in the line.

When the tap I've circled in red below is turned on, water should come out the end of the pipe. There's no mechanism on the washing machine's inlet hose that activates the water. The additional pieces after the tap could be a backflow device or potentially an anti-hammer device.

You could have the installer remove the additional fittings after the tap to see if that allows the water to flow. It could be the tap itself being faulty or the additional silver fitting that has caused the blockage. 

I presume water was flowing fine prior to this?

Mitchell

Tap.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects