Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

sarzc
Community Newcomer

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and the rangehood has died so need to replace with a new one. Only thing is that most new rangehoods are 175mm in height but this old one is 300mm, so the new one will leave a considerable gap between the top of the rangehood and the permanent cabinet shelf.

Is it feasible/advisable to somehow remove or move this permanent shelf to sit flush on top of a new rangehood or should I just deal with any gaps for the time being? I'm not sure if the shelf is glued in or screwed/nailed in, and don't like the idea of taking down the cabinet to check at this point in time.

Note that the duct cover is removable, I think it was put together using some spare MDF boards.

Appreciate the advice!

remove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-esxguop8l8sd1.jpegremove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-54v4aqp8l8sd1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Hello @sarzc 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your rangehood shelf.

The shelf is screwed into the cabinet and is helping to hold the rangehood in place. If you wish to remove the shelf, I suggest using a multi tool in combination with a Full Boar 32mm Wood And Metal Plunge Cut Multi-Tool Blade that will allow you to cut through the screws holding the shelf in place. 

I'm aware that you're not keen on removing the shelf from the wall. But the advantage of removing the cabinet from the wall is that it allows you to install a new shelf that is in line with your new rangehood height without having to add brackets or drill on an angle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sarzc
Community Newcomer

Re: Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Thank you Eric for the quick response!

If I was to take the cabinet off the wall to remove/relocate the shelf inside, how would I go about this? I am fairly new to these bigger DIY projects so want to make sure I don't damage anything!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects