Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tiles under kitchen cabinets?

bls0709
Just Starting Out

How to remove tiles under kitchen cabinets?

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3339.jpeg

  

Hello Everyone,

I would like check for suggestions on how to remove tiles.

I basically planning to replace my old tiles ( on concrete base) with hybrid flooring.

unfortunately just had bit of a hiccup as found that my kitchen cabinets are placed on top of the tiles and can’t figure out how to remove it safely. I am not sure as well if that the surrounding kitchen cabinet base are load bearing. 
Any suggestions?

thanks heaps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove tiles under kitchen cabinets?

Hello @bls0709 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your tiles.

If you are planning on removing your tiles, it will be necessary to remove the refrigerator tall end panel, the kickboards any base end panels on the cabinetry and the back island panels. You should now be able to see the feet of the cabinetry or its plinth. You can then remove, chip or cut the tiles up to the inside of the cabinetry. Some tiles will remain under the cabinetry as it is too far to get too, but you can tile up to the footing of the cabinetry. This means that when you put the panels back all you'll see are the new tiles.

The other option of course is full cabinet disassembly. This method of course will allow you to remove all the tiles from the floor and get a good finish. In regards to your question about cabinets being self-standing, if they are not then your only choice is to remove all the cabinets. Make sure to double check before you begin.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @bls0709 

Your questions is the quandry I have in my head always! When you say hybrid flooring do you mean the clip together floorboards?

If you do then I would lay the boards/hybrid flooring over the tiles if the edge of the transition isnt to big. My bathroom to the timber floorboards is around 2cm.

You can remove the skirt and any end pieces as @EricL has said and you will see the feet. If the tiles can stay then the hybrid flooring can be laid up to the feet of the cupboards. Then the skirt can be trimmed down to match and re-installed. The same with the end pieces of your cupboard.

Its a hard question "Do I remove the cupboard to start again?" The answer is only if you are gutting the kitchen. Otherwise you are creating a larger job then what may be needed.

Just as reference, my current kitchen (due to be replaced as the whole kitchen is going) has two layers of tiles over it. So think first layer is what you can see and then someone has tiled over the top. :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @bls0709 

In my mind there are two options. 

1. Float the boards on top of the tiles. The only issue would be a height difference where the boards meet another room.

2. Dismantle the cabinets as @EricL suggested. The cabinets will not be load bearing, they never are.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects