Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tiles off splashback?

Cat234
Growing in Experience

How to remove tiles off splashback?

IMG_4628.png

I’ve attempted to pop the tiles off my kitchen splashback to do a diy replacement, but it’s been impossible. It seems like they’ve installed a seperate board with the tiles on it and screwed it into the studs. Any time I try and pop off a tile the plaster wall just bends and breaks because the join in the plaster is so close to the tiles. 

I’m wondering if I shd get a professional in to just remove the plasterboard with the tiles on it. I’d rather save the money and do it myself but it just seems to be a bit of a nightmare job - has anyone tried this successfully ?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove tiles off splashback?

Hi @Cat234,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, it looks like the tiles have been installed over plasterboard, which would mean it is not going to be as simple as popping them off and replacing them.

The adhesive used to attach tiles, as I'm sure you can imagine, is extremely strong. When you are trying to pop the tiles off, the adhesive is fighting to keep itself stuck to the plasterboard and the plasterboard is fighting to stay attached to the studs. It seems that the plasterboard is what is failing in your case.

Unfortunately, it is likely not possible to simply pop the tiles off without damaging the plasterboard. There's a very good chance you're going to have to cut the plasterboard off and replace it before retiling the splashback.

You could certainly do the demolition yourself using an angle grinder to cut around the perimeter of the splashback, but if you weren't confident a handyman should be able to assist.

Let me know if you wanted to give the demolition a go, I'd be happy to offer further guidance.

Jacob

Cat234
Growing in Experience

Re: How to remove tiles off splashback?

Thanks very much! Have removed and replaced plasterboard now onto tiling! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects