Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to regrout a splashback?

RT
Community Newcomer

How to regrout a splashback?

Hi all. I’m hoping someone may shed some light on my regrout issue. 
I purchased a home that had a renovation done in circa 2000, and for the kitchen splashback they chose the widest grout lines I’ve ever seen, and chose the sandiest  grout that continually seems to drop sand on the bench. The grout looks more like a concrete than the normal bathroom grout. Please see pictures attached.

May I please have some advice on how to regrout this? Can I just remove the top layer and replace with normal grout? Do I need to find the sandy grout? What is the best way to remove this type of grout? Thank you for taking the time to have a read. 

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

  

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to regrout a splashback?

Hello @RT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about grouting.

If you are detecting sand on your benchtop quite often, it's highly probable that the grout has started to fail and deteriorate. I propose removing the old grout along with the silicone sealer and regrouting and resealing the tiled wall. Removing the old grout generates a lot of grouting dust, I suggest covering your benchtop with plastic drop sheets and holding it in place with masking tape. I recommend using a multi tool in combination with a Diablo 70mm Universal Fit Diamond Grit Multi-Tool Blade for Grout 2608F02294.

To remove the old silicone, I suggest using the CornerTape Professional Silicon Remover. Once the grout and the silicone have been removed clean the gaps using a shop vacum in combination with a Sabco Soft Grip Grout Brush. Wipe the tiles down to make sure the surface is clean and then you can begin grouting the tiles. Once the grout has cured the last step will be to apply the silicone seal. My number one advice is to clean the tile surface as you apply the grout, do not let the grout dry on the surface of the tile as it becomes difficult to remove once it cures.

I also suggest using Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer to prevent oil, grease and dirt from settling on the surface of the grout.

Here are some handy step by step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects