Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a Kaboodle base unit?

caitlin812
Just Starting Out

How to remove a Kaboodle base unit?

Hi there,

I'm trying to remove a 60cm Kaboodle base unit to put a dishwasher in its place. I have removed all visible screws from both sides of the cabinet but the thing is stuck at the top and bottom of each side to the adjacent units. Very. Firmly. Stuck. 

Pretty happy the top isn't the problem - it's free of the worktop and I can run a blade between the unit and the worktop all the way along. 

I didn't install the kitchen (moved in and it was there) but the Kaboodle stickers are still on every cupboard. I've watched the Kaboodle installation videos and worked backwards from there and I can't find anything to explain why it is so adhered.

Are there any other screws/attachments present that won't be visible externally? Or is it more likely that it's been glued? I can't get any movement at all at the top and bottom when trying to lever it off. 

Hot ideas for getting this thing out? I was hoping to salvage the unit and use it elsewhere, but if I have to wreck it I will. Don't want to damage the adjacent units though. 

Thanks!

IMG_2724 2.jpegIMG_2725 2.jpegIMG_2730 2.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a Kaboodle base unit?

Hi @caitlin812,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

It's certainly possible that there may be glue between the cabinet units, which would make salvaging the cabinet tricky and maybe impossible. The lack of screws at the back of the cabinet makes me think they've probably used glue.

I'd suggest a good place to start is by seeing if you can remove the benchtop. This will allow you to see in behind the cabinet to see if there is anything that might shed some light on why it won't move. 

There should also be a slight gap behind the cabinet that you can use to try and pry the cabinet out using the claw of your hammer. Place the claw of the hammer in the gap directly behind the side panel of the cabinet. This will make sure that the prying force is being sent through the cabinet instead of just flexing the back panel. You might like to use a bit of scrap timber to protect the wall while you are prying with the hammer.

If this doesn't help at all, you could try using a piece of 70x35 framing timber as a lever. Place the timber underneath the cabinet and lift upwards. This will hopefully lift the cabinet slightly and free it up so you can pull it out. If this doesn't work, it's likely there is glue.

After these two steps, your approach might need to be more destructive. I'd start by sawing through the bottom panel and removing the top support rail. This should allow you to bend the side panels inwards so they can be removed.

Unfortunately, salvaging the cabinet might not be possible, but hopefully these steps can help you make an educated choice on whether you need to use destructive measures or not.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they've got any thoughts, @DIYGnome, @robchin, @Dave-1, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects