Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wine rack using steel rio reinforcing mesh?

DianeTDoyle
Getting Established

How to make a wine rack using steel rio reinforcing mesh?

HI All, I am looking for suggestions on how to make a wine rack using reo steel reinforcing mesh. What should I look out for as top tips to make it strong and secure? I hope to get a welder to put it together for me. It would sit on tiles in a pantry. I picture two pieces of mesh, using one for the front and one for the back. Thanks in advance for your time and tips. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any ideas on making a wine rack using steel rio reinforcing mesh?

Hello @DianeTDoyle 

That is a very clever idea using Rio mesh as a wine holder. To save yourself from having to weld it, have you considered using a timber box frame to hold the Rio in place? Imagine a plain simple timber box with no front or back, the Rio can be placed in the front and back of the box. But if you are truly feeling creative you can cut a channel inside the box for the Rio to sit in. 

Another option that comes to mind is using galvanized wire to hold the Rio frame together so that you don't have to weld it. You'll need to wrap it a couple of times around the corners, but once secure you can then cut it off. However, if you prefer to just have it as plain Rio then I suggest doing a sketch on paper on how tall it will be and what shape will it come in.

Let me call on our experienced members @RenoRach1, @lifestylebymari and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DianeTDoyle
Getting Established

Thanks EricL for your ideas and explanations. I look forward to any response from your co-contributors. Much appreciated. 

Morning @DianeTDoyle 

Below is a network of mesh I welded up for small pot plants. The mesh was from Bunnings and the 'squares' are 150mm X 150mm.

Just now, playing with a bottle - there appears to be a lot of wasted room?

The Bunnings team may know of smaller mesh available.

Should we find some - I would suggest you weld two sheets in a staggered pattern to accommodate the base and neck of the bottle.

Hope that makes sense.

Or are you looking for curved metal/rod to support the bottle better?

Cheers!

20240914_091014.jpg20240914_091751.jpg

Hi @Noyade, thanks for your post. There may be some wasted space - but it depends if you have some different types of bottles placed in the rack!! Thanks for the picture. It looks interesting, I'll show my welding friend. How did you do the base and top? I don't know about curved metal. Some pre-made racks are like that, but it seems custom made. Thanks for your help.

Hi Diane. @DianeTDoyle 

How many bottles are you thinking of holding? Attached to a wall or free standing?

My frames were designed to hang outside, over walls - never thought about wine bottles. 😁

There is also the larger 200mm X 200mm square mesh available from Bunnings, which I think now would be better and hence no need for a staggered approach. Spaced 160mm apart the mesh sheet rods catch nicely the nape of the neck and the base of the bottle - quite secure. Welding 'crucifixes' within each square would individually support 4 bottles safely.

Would be fiddly.

But if you want this then on a wall - we need to engineer mounts and there would be a lot of weight involved.

Free-standing would be better in my opinion.

See what you think.

Cheers!

200mm = 4 standard bottles.200mm = 4 standard bottles.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects