Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

SteveC
Building a Reputation

How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

Hi all,

I am about to replace our 28 yr old under bench oven with a new F&P pyrolitic, OB60SC. The install instructions for the new oven do not seem to allow much clearance all round, 8mm minimum clearance on width and 5mm minimum clearance on height.. This seems very minimal to me, although I guess modern ovens are very well insulated.

Existing space is 543w x 645h x 570d.

I need to retain the existing fascia to keep everything matched, it will need to be widened slightly, it is laminated.

I need to raise the bottom of the oven by about 25mm to fit the existing cutout. What material should I use for this? The current base is mdf and the current oven has two steel rails on the bottom.

Regards,

Steve

20240604_141134.jpgFP-InstallGuide_pages_3.jpgFP-InstallGuide_pages_4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

Hello @SteveC 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing your new oven.

Due to the amount of adjustments that will be needed, I suggest considering engaging the services of a kitchen cabinet builder. They will be familiar with the materials to use and how best to adjust the cabinetry. 

I'm afraid that this adjustment will be a bit involved. The oven minimum for width is 560mm which means that the righthand panel of the oven cabinet will need to be moved 17mm to the right. This means that the 4-drawer cabinet will need to move 17mm to the right as well. 

The bottom panel of the oven cabinet will need to be replaced with a similar panel but bigger by 17mm due to the shift of the wall. The height and width are not an issue as you have more than enough space. The front oven panel or fascia might need to be trimmed down, but its best to test and observe first.

My only other suggestion is to consider getting a smaller oven.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SteveC
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, 

Why can't I just enlarge the current cutout width by 8.5mm each side? That would remove any need to move the drawers, which is not an option. 

Current oven chassis is 520d x 533w x 620h

Regards,

Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SteveC 

An oven cabinet is often screwed together and the only way to change or remove the panels is to remove the screws. Oven cabinets have specific requirements in regards to the panels surrounding them. Trimming the panels from inside would take ages and would weaken the structural strength of the cabinet walls. 

If we are basing the space requirements from the oven guide the OB60SC needs an installation width of 560mm. The original existing space you mentioned is 543mm wide. The only way to provide that extra space is to move the panel to create more space.    

However, if you had another strategy in mind, please let me know so that I can provide recommendations in regards to its application.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Assemble An Oven Cabinet

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @SteveC 

If you remove 8.5mm from either side well my first thought is "You are skilled" :smile: Second thought is structually there will be nothing left to support the surround cuboards. If you havnt already removed your oven, wait until you do and you will probarlly see long term "heat" marks. There are minimun air gap distances around things for a ereason (yes I have come across people not sticking to them and they wonder why timber has that burnt look)

The set of draws may be in a carcass that can be unscrewed and shifted to the right wholly if you are lucky, You will need a new timber piece at the top and also that raised piece for teh oven to sit on.  If you look under the bench you will see how the benchtop is attached abd then the sides may have screws through to facing ends. It probarrly will be involved as Eric says.

I actually have the same oven! And an even older kitchen cabinetry (its all particle board that has been built insitu) So I really understand issues with replacement of the oven and keeping with the correct spacings.

Dave

SteveC
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I am skilled and have access to a full woodworking shop at my local Men's Shed. I agree there is a reason for clearances, which is why I posted the dimensions and mentioned that the clearances stated in the documentation seem too small. but, who am I to argue with the manufacturer? In the new setup I will have more than their specified minimum.

The existing fascia provides no support for the surrounding cupboards, it is purely a fill panel. In fact I can slide a thin steel rule between the fascia and the side of the adjacent carcasses. I guess I am lucky in that respect. It is attached to the left side cupboard and the drawer cabinet by 4 L brackets, one in each corner. The adjacent carcasses are pretty flimsy though, only 16mm chipboard I think, might be MDF but I doubt it. I think the whole system has been built in situ without using flat pack style carcasses. Typical minimal quality project home.

I have drawn an appr scale diagram of the existing layout. The old oven sits in the middle on a shelf (not sure how thick that is until I pull out the fascia)

The fascia (outlined in green) just sits between the two sides as mentioned above.

Hope this clarifies the current setup.

Regards,

SteveBench layout.jpg

SteveC
Building a Reputation

Interestingly, the existing setup does not appear to have any form of heat shielding.

Regards,

steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SteveC 

Thank you for the clarification and extra information, we would definitely like to see what's inside the cavity. If you can post a picture of the inside, we'll be able to get an idea of how it's been put together. We can then offer recommendations on possible cabinet configurations.

Eric

SteveC
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

I won't be able to do that iuntil the sparky disconnects the old oven.. Although, I might be able to pull the old oven out far enough to get a camera inside. I'll look into it.

Regards,

Steve 

SteveC
Building a Reputation

Hi all,

This is the best I could do without removing the oven completely. I note that the sides are quite grotty from food spilled over the decades, that will need to be cleaned once I have full access.

I can see no sign of burning from the old oven.

However, there was a lot of collected dust which of course is a fire hazard. Never knew that until the old oven was partially removed!

Regards,

Steve

Rear wall of enclosure, gyprockRear wall of enclosure, gyprockTop of cutoutTop of cutoutBottom of enclosureBottom of enclosureSideSideSideSideSideSideSideSide

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects