Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a new kitchen area in my caravan?

whatawally
Just Starting Out

How to install a new kitchen area in my caravan?

I want to install a new kitchen area  in my 88 on site caravan. Draws, cupboards and sink, the length is 240, what is recomended for the width? And any ideas please. Also I want to paint it white inside over the old panelling. What's the best method brush or spray?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Community manager's note: Check out How to renovate a caravan for expert advice.

IMG_0677.jpgIMG_0681.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a new kitchen area in my caravan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @whatawally. It's awesome to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a new kitchen in a caravan.

The width of your new kitchen and bench depends on how much you value the floor space. What's the current width like for you? Are you happy with it? If so, I'd suggest sticking to it. If you'd like more bench depth and cabinetry space and are happy to sacrifice floor space, then you can extend the unit out. Or, if your priority is floor space and you're happy to sacrifice storage and bench space, then you can go for a minimalistic approach. You'd still want a functional bench space, and what you have currently is an excellent guide to work off. Are you planning to create the carcass for this unit from scratch? If you are, then you can design it exactly to your liking. If you are going for pre-fabricated units, then the width will be dictated by what's available. 

What's the condition of the existing carcass, and what are your reasons for replacing it? If you are happy with the layout, it might be a more straightforward approach to do a makeover instead of a complete replacement. You could remove the sink and benchtops replacing them with a Specrite 2400 x 900mm 40mm Timber Panel Pine FJ Laminated cut down to your required width and a round kitchen sink. If you are happy with a join, you could save some cost by using two 1200mm panels. Once the benchtop is sorted, you could create your own cabinet doors to replace the current ones. If you're lucky, you might even be able to use pre-fabricated doors. Alternatively, if you are happy with cabinets 580 deep and don't want to use the existing carcass, then it would be worth checking out our Flatpax range.

For the internal panelling, you'll likely need to use a primer such as Dulux Precision Maximum Adhesion to allow your paint to stick. Picking up a sprayer similar to the Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun would make applying the primer and topcoat a breeze, and you'll get a superior result than using a paintbrush or roller. The only downside is that you'll need to cover all surfaces you don't wish to paint, as you'll have paint drift onto them. Also, make sure you're wearing an appropriate respirator whilst spraying.

If you haven't already read through it, I'm sure you'll enjoy @Peggers three-part series on How to renovate a caravan.

Let me mention some of our keen caravan renovators, @Peggers, @twocutekelpies, @Old-gal24, @FloTheCaravan, and @VickiD, to see if they have some advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects