Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking kitchen mixer tap?

Sky3
Just Starting Out

How to fix leaking kitchen mixer tap?

1000004600.jpg

Hi, Can someone help me please? Our kitchen mixer tap is leaking on the handle (as shown in the image). Is it possible to fix the leaking? And what do I need to do to fix the leaking? Or is it better to replace the whole tap? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaking kitchen mixer tap?

Hello @Sky3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your leaking kitchen tap.

There are two possible reasons for the leak. First, the locking brass nut might have come loose and is allowing water to bypass the cartridge and overflow at the top. The second reason is that the cartridge has failed, and water is passing through ceramic body and is leaking at the top. You can try to repair it by removing the handle and cover cap then tightening the brass locking ring with a shifter.

The second option is to replace the taps ceramic cartridge with a new one. The third option of course is to replace the kitchen with a new one. I'll leave the choice up to you. Just a friendly reminder that any plumbing work must be carried out by a licensed plumber for safety and compliance.

I've placed a sample image below of how the ceramic cartridge can be removed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ready2go
Building a Reputation

I've had similar issues a couple of times too and found it's usually much easier to replace the whole tap. Bunnings do have a good range and i've only had success with Estilo ones. the process is quite simple for anyone with DIY attitude 

Sky3
Just Starting Out

Hi @EricL  

Thank you for your advices, we'll try to do the first and second option first, and see how it goes. If not, we will call a plumber (plumber so expensive 😭), so it will be the last option.

Anyway, We are also planning to buy a replacement kitchen mixer tap, to be prepare in advance, any advice which kitchen mixer tap?

As we searched bunnings website, this tap (the image below), do you think this model will last longer than the cheaper one? Can this tap model fit to replace the old one? We are afraid if we buy the wrong one and it won't fit in. 

1000004598.jpg

Sky3
Just Starting Out

Hi @Ready2go 

Thanks for your advice. I love DIY, just started to do small DIY myself and most of my DIY tools, I bought them without my husband knowledge 😄 as He is not a DIY person, He won't let me buy if I tell Him in advance. 

Anyway, may I know, which Estillo ones that you had success with? Was it easy to install? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sky3 

Let me tag @Ready2go so that they are aware of your questions. Your choice of using the Mondella WELS 5 Star 5L/min 35mm Chrome Affiniti Gooseneck Sink Mixer is good. It's lead free and comes with a tough chrome finish. I recommend double checking the size of hole on your kitchen benchtop before purchasing the tap to make sure it fits.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects