Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose door knob?

Ismat
Community Newcomer

How to fix loose door knob?

Door Knob 1.jpgDoor Knob 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi , My door knob is loose and it does not stay locked. How to fix it?

Hello @Ismat 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your door knob.

If your door knob is loose even if you tighten the holding plate on the other side where the screws are, it's possible that the flange on the other side needs to be adjusted. I suggest turning the flange of the door knob clockwise to reduce the spacing which in turn will allow the door knob to clasp your door. When you reinstall the door knob it should now be tight. 

However, if you are referring to the overall condition of the door knob itself and that it is jiggling or rattling and is easy to bump open, I suggest replacing it with a higher quality door knob, especially if it is used for your house entrance. For extra security, I propose using the Gainsborough Stainless Steel Manning Combination Entrance Knob Set. The deadlock provides an extra level of security as it cannot simply be bumped to open.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ismat
Community Newcomer

Hi EricL,

The door does not latch. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ismat 

If that is the case, it might be that your door knob is not aligned to the striking plate. The reason for this is that your door has either shifted or is no longer in alignment with your door frame. I recommend checking the alignment of your door and see if it has changed. Tighten the screws of your hinges and see if it improves its position, then test the door knob to see if finally lines up. If not, I suggest engaging the services of a handy person to fix your door alignment so that your door knob latches in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ismat
Community Newcomer

Thank you .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects