Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix heat marks on laminate kitchen bench?

Marie1302
Getting Established

How to fix heat marks on laminate kitchen bench?

20240710_132736.jpg

Hi All.

Our laminate kitchen bench is in pretty good condition except for some heat marks left from tenants before we purchased. 

Any ideas how to remove them or paint etc other than replacing them?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Heat marks on the Kitchen Bench

Hi @Marie1302,

You might like to post some images of the damage so our helpful members better understand the issue you're trying to resolve. 

You can try a mild abrasive like Gumption to see if the scorch mark can be removed. As this material is abrasive, you need to be careful not to go overboard with the scrubbing as it can damage the laminate surface. 

Painting is certainly an option, but any physical damage must be repaired before painting. Is it just an aesthetic scorch mark, or is there physical damage to the surface? I'd recommend you consider the Dulux Renovation range of laminate and benchtop paints. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint a kitchen benchtop with Dulux.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. 

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have uploaded a image for you to look  at.

Cheers Marie-Anne 

Hi @Marie1302,

I can't tell from your image where the scorch mark might be, but it doesn't appear that any physical damage was done to the surface. Does it feel rough, or is it deformed at all? It looks like the advice I provided above would be suitable for your circumstances.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell.

The lighter colour stain looking marks with no sheen are the marks on the bench I'm talking about.

I assumed that they are heat marks but not really sure.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marie1302 

It appears that the laminate surface might have been ever so slightly damaged and has removed the sheen on the surface. It is difficult to tell what could have caused the damage, I propose using Glitz 250ml Furniture Polish or Dunlop 500ml Revive and Shine to temporarily restore the polish of the benchtop surface.

However, if you are after a more permanent solution, Mitchell's suggestion of painting your benchtop is a practical step to take, especially if you are not ready to replace your benchtop.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects