Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill holes and cover edges of recycled timber?

kflynn89
Getting Established

How to fill holes and cover edges of recycled timber?

IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpeg

  

Hello! 

I am repurposing left overs from a kitchen  renovation to make a bar cabinet.

The pieces I’ve got have pre cut holes for the hinges that I don’t need (I’ve attached photos). I’m looking for ideas on how to fill / cover these holes! 

I’m also looking for ideas on how to cover up the wooden edges. I know I can paint them, but are there other options? 

Thanks in advance! 

Kirsten

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repurposing leftovers from kitchen renovation

Hi @kflynn89,

Thank you for your question on how to repurpose leftover materials from your kitchen renovation.

I would suggest using Turbo Builders Bog to fill the hinge mounting holes. This is a 2-part filler, that will set extremely hard with minimal shrinkage. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and be aware that it will set quickly, so only mix it when you are fully prepared to apply it.

Once it has set, sand it smooth with a sanding sponge and then paint it with suitably coloured paint to match.

For the edges, I'd advise inBuilt Black Texture Melamine Iron-On Edging. This is a simple-to-use product that will require an iron such as this Russell Hobbs Rapid Steam Iron to activate the adhesive and a utility knife to trim the excess.

Please ensure you wear gloves when cutting the melamine edging to avoid any unnecessary lacerations. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

kflynn89
Getting Established

Thanks very much! I don’t mind having the hinge holes in the wood, so your comment about paint has made me realise I could just paint them so they’re less visible rather than filling them in first! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kflynn89,

If you are happy to leave the holes and simply paint them, there's no harm in that at all. I suppose it all comes down to what you want to use them for. 

Did you have a particular project in mind? I'm sure our members would love to see what you come up with and offer their assistance if required.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Jacob

kflynn89
Getting Established

Thanks! 

I’m planning on building a cabinet to go around our wine fridge. I’ll share more details when I get started! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects