Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut down thermoformed Kaboodle cabinet then add edging and paint?

gwilso
Just Starting Out

How to cut down thermoformed Kaboodle cabinet then add edging and paint?

Hello,

I am building a Kaboodle kitchen in the thermoformed Cremesala colour with the country style profile. However, the pantry needs to be ripped down from 900mm to 790mm. I understand you can get custom sizes but you can only do modern profile and I am set on the country profile. I am wondering if it is possible to rip down the thermoformed doors and then iron on an edge and paint it. And, If so, what paint should I use and how do I get the exact same colour paint as Cremasala. I appreciate the help. 

gwilso
Just Starting Out

Re: Cutting down thermoformed Kaboodle then iron edging and painting

Or would I be better trying to melt the edge of the thermoformed and then cutting and trying to bend it around the cut edge? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting down thermoformed Kaboodle then iron edging and painting

Hi @gwilso,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

Unfortunately, cutting down a thermoformed door is not going to work. As they are essentially coated in a shrink wrap that is heated to form a vacuum seal against the chipboard if you cut the door, over time the cut edge will shrink back, and the coating will peel off the door.

The next problem you'll face is that cutting off 110mm of the door means the profile on the front of the door will not match up with the neighbouring cabinets. You could in theory remove 55mm from each side, but then you'll have two cut edges that would speed up the time it takes for the coating to peel off.

Unfortunately, this is likely something you'll have to change your design to accommodate, or you're going to have to contact a cabinet maker for assistance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects