Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create distressed wood look on a kitchen tray?

craftyJ
Finding My Feet

How to create distressed wood look on a kitchen tray?

I’m wanting to know how to create “distressed wood” look on mdf base for a kitchen tray? Do I need a primer? What type of paint can I get in small quantities? Will I need to seal it? I will be mosaicing the base. Appreciate any advice or tips.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Distressed wood look

Hi @craftyJ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about creating a distressed wood look for a kitchen tray.

I suggest having a quick look at these discussions - Distressed hallway table by @Yorky88 and Distressed portable shelves by @Peggers. The general process is to paint the appliance and strip away portions of the paint to give it that distressed look. Apply more paint and again strip away portions of it to give it that shabby-chic look. Usually, this technique works very well on timber surfaces, but MDF is a compressed fibre board and might not work properly due to the way its produced.

Even if you were to prime the surface of the MDF it would only take only one deep scratch on the MDF, and its fibrous surface would reveal itself ruining the effect. You could give it a go with the MDF tray, but I can't guarantee the type of finish you'll get. I propose looking for a timber tray instead and applying the distressed technique on it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to distress painted furniture.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Distressed wood look

Thanks Eric. Yes I think timber tray would be better. I will look out for one and try this technique. As Bunnings sell the mdf trays I will still paint one but not distressed technique.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects