Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close gap between rangehood and wall?

Ivyivy123
Just Starting Out

How to close gap between rangehood and wall?

Hi team,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend me the best way to close the gap between the rangehood and the wall ? I was going for the minimalist and airy look in the kitchen so no upper cabinets. And my rangehood installer said that's the best he could do. He used a piece of wood on the upper part of the hood to mount it on (it's a brick wall), but as a result there is a 1cm gap at the bottom half of the hood.

Is 1 - 1.5 cm gap too large for caulking you reckon?

Rangehood 3.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close gap between rangehood and wall?

Hi @Ivyivy123,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's frustrating that the tile and the range hood just overlap. The best way to fix the gap would be to cut out a section of the tile so the range hood can sit flush with the wall. If you had a very good tiler, it could be done, but at the expense of those beautiful tiles, it might not be the best way to go about it.

My suggestion would be to use a white silicone such as White SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant in conjunction with Moroday 15mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod. In the areas where the gap is narrow, the silicone alone should cover the gap and not fall through, whereas the wider sections would require the gap filler rod as a backing to prevent the silicone from falling through.

For best results, you can check out How To Silicone a Gap and How To Apply Bathroom Sealant for some guidance.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects