Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add extra panel and cabinet around fridge in kitchen?

TomG
Growing in Experience

How to add extra panel and cabinet around fridge in kitchen?

We’ve just completed a lovely kitchen refresh with new splash back and bench tops and to top it off would like to properly enclose the fridge.

At the moment the fridge is just against a wall next to a small section of upper and lower cabinets and looks unfinished.

Existing setupExisting setup

What I’d like to do is build (or buy) a small cabinet to install above the fridge (orange block) and connect it to a new vertical melamine panel. The melamine panel would live between the fridge and rubbish bin (green block).

mockup of new cabinetrymockup of new cabinetry

The extra cabinet is easy enough but I don’t know how I could fix the melamine panel in place as it would be free standing in a way; just attached to the small cupboard above the fridge but not to the wall or floor

Some ideas I have are;

1. Use some “L” shaped aluminium to fix to the floor and bottom inside of the melamine panel
  2. Cut away the plaster where the melamine board would go and install some kind of wall bracket that the melamine panel could be secured to (is this even a thing???)
  3. Just attach the top to the cabinet and leave the bottom resting on the floor (terrible idea)

Any other ideas are most welcome. Thanks for reading :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add extra panel and cabinet around fridge in kitchen?

Hello @TomG 

Thanks for sharing your question about adding a fridge cabinet to your kitchen.

The Kaboodle slimline cabinets come in several sizes; I suggest measuring the width of your fridge in order to get the correct cabinet size. The Kaboodle set has a fixed pantry end panel size which is 600mm x 2200mm x 18mm. But if you are planning on using a different panel, I highly suggest matching the size to your existing side panel where your microwave and oven are.    

To fix the pantry panel in place, I recommend using Hafele 23 x 23mm Angle Bracket - 20 Pack. It comes with its own screws to anchor onto the panel, but I suggest checking its height to make sure that it does not punch through to the other side. 

To anchor the panel to the floor and wall, I recommend using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack. However, I suggest checking the back wall with a stud finder as you might get lucky, and the panel is in line with a stud. If not, you'll need to use the plugs that come with the set. There is no need to cut the plaster wall or the floor to keep the panel in place.

I've drawn up some sample images and placed them below to give you an idea of how it can be anchored in. Please remember to plan ahead and double check your measurements before you begin drilling.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TomG
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL,

The images you provided are very helpful.

Just to clarify, I use the angle brackets for attaching the panel to the wall/floor but use the Ramset anchor screws to do the attaching?

I'll measure up the panel on the microwave side and see what I can find to best match it.

Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TomG 

Yes, use the Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack on the floor and the wall. Make sure to follow the drilling depth instructions on the back of the packaging when drilling into concrete or masonry. The angle brackets will have screws in the packet, but always double check to make sure that it will not drill through the panel.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects