Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean up after using paint stripper?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

How to clean up after using paint stripper?

Wondering if anyone has had issues with the cleaning up process after using paint stripper.

I started sanding back an old kitchen table I'd purchase on FB market place that had been painted *(sort of) oil based paint.  It was a real mish mash, and I wasn't getting very far trying to sand it back. So thought I'd give paint stripper a go..  Without much luck, the worst part was trying to clean up the fiddly bit *(table edge) the instructions said to clean up with warm soapy water after scrapping as much as possible off.  

Which I did but it's dried with lots of sticky bits.  Instructions also said to use turps if there were any sticky bits left over.  WHICH I have done and it's just not budging.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

This Old Gal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean up after using paint stripper?

Hi @Old-gal24,

Cleaning up after using paint stripper can be challenging, especially with stubborn areas. First, reapply paint stripper to the sticky areas and cover them with plastic sheeting to prevent drying. Let it sit for the recommended time, then use a scraper to remove the softened paint. If the paint stripper dries out, it will be difficult to remove the paint.

For intricate areas, use steel wool or a scrubbing pad. Finally, lightly sand the table with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out rough spots and prepare it for refinishing. 

Typically, I'll need to do up to three applications of paint stripper in any one location to get through the paint layers. Also, use the paint stripper generously; you need a decent coating on there to be effective.

Remember to always work in a well-ventilated area and wear safety gear. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

Many thanks Mitchell for your super prompt reply.  I certainly didn't know that I would need up to 3 layers of paint stripper.  I have had limited use when using paint stripper.  I prefer to use the sanding method, but this just wasn't coming of so I gave it a go.  I have another smaller coffee table I was thinking of doing the same with, as the previous owner has covered up all the lovely timber with layers of white paint. I also have a heat gun and have been thinking of using that with the coffee table. 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated with that one also.. I've only used the heat gun to cut through 7 layers of paint on some old windows I restored many years ago.

I used this product https://www.bunnings.com.au/poly-250ml-paint-stripper-dcm-free-250ml_p0400163

and have since read the feedback on the Bunnings site, left for this item.  It seems many others have had the same issue. 

I've decided to purchase this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/poly-1l-polystrippa-paint-stripper-1l_p1715074

I will see how I get on today.  *(I am waiting for timber to come into my local store so I can get on with building a garden shed) I've been trying to use that time to catch up on a few smaller jobs, hence me tackling this table, while filling in time.

It's lovely and sunny here today, but still cold around 12 degrees, and I'm wondering if this could be part of the issue I've had. I am working outdoors with this table, good ventilation, and I always use eye & hand protection. 

Once again, many thanks for your advice.

This Old~galAfter my 1st attemptAfter my 1st attempt20240616_151109.jpg

Hi @Old-gal24,

I think you'll find the Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper - 1L far more effective. The previous one you used is a safer version designed for indoor use; the chemicals aren't as strong.

In your image, is all that surface buildup dry and hard to remove? If so, it looks like you've left the paint stripper a bit long before trying to remove and it re-solidified. I'd recommend applying the paint stripper, covering the top with a plastic drop sheet to hold in the vapours, and waiting 10-15mins. Remove the drop sheet and start scraping off the residue.

A heat gun or a paint stripper can be used on the coffee table. For painted surfaces, I typically apply the paint stripper, wait a minute and then begin scrapping. Most of the time, the paint will bubble immediately after the stripper is applied.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Many thanks Mitchell

When I've used paint stripper in the past, it bubbled up nicely and was super easy to scrap off, but this didn't happen with the first product I used. 

I am also wondering if the cold weather has anything to do with this.

Thank you once again

Old~gal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's likely that the paint stripper you used in the past @Old-gal24 contained dichloromethane.

The cold weather can retard the process. Popping the table in the sun if you can and using a plastic drop sheet will assist.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Thank you Mitchell, I was thinking it would cause issues, as it does with paint..

Cheers

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects