Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint over a shiny laminex cupboard?

NellieJoyce
Just Starting Out

PlumbMaster-Zee
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I paint over a shiny laminex cupboard?

hi NellieJoyce,

To paint over a shiny Laminex cupboard, follow these steps to ensure the paint adheres well and provides a durable finish:

1. Clean the Surface:
- Use a mild detergent and water to clean the cupboard thoroughly. Remove all grease, dirt, and grime. Rinse with clean water and let it dry completely.

2. Sand the Surface:
- Lightly sand the shiny surface with fine-grit sandpaper (around 220 grit) to create a rough texture for better paint adhesion. Wipe away the dust with a damp cloth and let it dry.

3. Apply Primer:
- Use a high-quality bonding primer suitable for slick surfaces. Apply a thin, even coat of primer using a brush or roller. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying time.

4. Sand Again (Optional):
- For an ultra-smooth finish, lightly sand the primed surface with fine-grit sandpaper once it’s dry. Clean off the dust.

5. Apply Paint:
- Choose a high-quality paint suitable for cabinetry, such as acrylic latex paint or enamel paint. Apply the paint in thin, even coats, allowing each coat to dry completely before applying the next. Usually, two to three coats are needed for full coverage.

6. Finish (Optional):
- For added durability, especially in high-traffic areas, consider applying a clear polyurethane topcoat after the paint has fully cured.

Materials Needed:
- Mild detergent
- Fine-grit sandpaper (220 grit)
- Bonding primer
- Acrylic latex paint or enamel paint
- Paintbrush or roller
- Clear polyurethane (optional)

Following these steps will help ensure a smooth and long-lasting finish on your shiny Laminex cupboard. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Zee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NellieJoyce. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting laminate.

The Dulux Renovation range is really at the forefront of coatings for laminate cabinetry. 

To achieve the best results, it's essential to follow a comprehensive process when painting laminate kitchen cabinets using Dulux products. Begin by thoroughly cleaning the surface with a mild detergent and water to remove all grease, silicone, and dirt, then rinse with clean water and let it dry completely. Lightly sand the shiny surface with fine-grit sandpaper (around 220 grit) to create a rough texture for better paint adhesion, wiping away the dust with a damp cloth and allowing it to dry.

Next, apply the Dulux Renovation Range Primer to ensure the surface is properly prepared, following the label directions to avoid peeling and flaking of the topcoat. Wash brushes and rollers prior to use to remove any loose fibres or hairs. Apply the primer with a brush or roller in a thin, even coat, maintaining a wet edge during application for a smooth finish. After the primer has dried, proceed with the Dulux Renovation Range topcoat. Cut in as necessary using the recommended brushes and coat the surface using the recommended roller. Once each section is coated, gently go over the surface in the same direction with minimal paint on the roller using light pressure to achieve a consistent finish.

If needed, apply additional coats, as some colours may require more than two coats, especially when covering dark colours. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. For added protection, especially in high-traffic areas, apply two coats of Dulux Renovation Range Clear as the final coat once the topcoat is fully cured. Using high-quality tools is crucial, as poor-quality or worn rollers can affect the final finish.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets. Remember to use the Dulux 1L Renovation Range Primer⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ so the topcoat can bond sufficiently to the shiny laminex.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @NellieJoyce 

Welcome to The Bunnings community page:) There are a bunch of projects in here that will help out for sure!

I have painted some old grey styled laminated booksshelves and they came up nicely. Bookcase retrofit to create a garage library  is my project where I sand back the laminate lightly and then paaint it with laminate paint. 

One thing to note is the longer you leave the paint the more it "fixes" to the laminate. 

Follow the directions on the tin. Best way to get it to bond.

Tile & Laminate Paint shows a range of laminate paints.

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NellieJoyce,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen cabinetry.

Just thought I'd add to the helpful advice you have received with some inspirational examples from our community members: 20 kitchens transformed with paint.

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects