Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach laminate benchtop edge?

Sajidsohail
Finding My Feet

How to attach laminate benchtop edge?

Hi. I bought a Practa laminate benchtop. It needs a sealing on the both edges with the edge strip provided in the package. But I am not sure whether it is an iron edge or require an adhesive or glue to attach it to the benchtop. Please advise.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laminate benchtop edge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sajidsohail. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laminate benchtops.

Laminate is attached to the chipboard through a heat-activated glue. The glue is already applied to the edging strip, and it then simply needs to be ironed onto the bench edges. 

If there were no directions in the packaging you can follow these:

• Heat your household iron to a medium-high setting, typically around the "cotton" level, and make sure the steam function is turned off. 

• Position the edging on the benchtop edge with the glue side facing the benchtop, ensuring it is centred and aligned properly. 

• Press the hot iron onto the edging, starting at one end and moving slowly to the other, applying even pressure to cover the entire surface. The heat will melt the glue and bond the edging to the benchtop. 

• After ironing, press the edging firmly with a flat block or a piece of wood to ensure a good bond, then allow the edging to cool and set. Once cooled, use a sharp utility knife or a laminate trimmer to carefully trim any excess edging material, being precise to avoid damaging the laminate surface. 

• Finally, use fine-grit sandpaper or a file to smooth any rough edges or corners, ensuring a clean, finished look. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: laminate benchtop edge

Thanks Mitchell. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects