Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix chips in the kitchen and bathroom?

latias9787
Just Starting Out

How to fix chips in the kitchen and bathroom?

Hi brains trust

I am preparing for a quick diy renovation project for a property I'm planning to sell. I noticed there was bad chips on the laminate kitchen bench top around the sink. Was wondering what is the easiest way to fix this so it's not so noticeable.

Also I have noticed chips on the surface of cabinet and drawer doors. What's the best way to approach these? 

Thanks in advance for the answers

Dan

Screenshot_20240708_150640_WeChat.jpg

mmexport1720416020407.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix these chips in the kitchen and bathroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Dan (@latias9787). It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing water damage.

I'm not certain whether any cover-up would provide much benefit as it's clear the bench and the vanity need to be replaced due to water damage. You could try to mask the areas with paint, but I'm unsure how convincing that would look. 

What are the chances that the prospective buyer would be doing a renovation and replacing these items anyway? 

The vanity, due to the swollen timber, is past the point of repair. Also the benchtop appears to have suffered significant damage, especially at the rear. It would be worth considering whether replacing the vanity and benchtop would benefit your sale price. The vanity can be replaced in a day, and a plumber can hook up the water. The benchtop is a little more complicated, but there are plenty of budget-friendly options to choose from. 

Let me mention @2Belindas to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix these chips in the kitchen and bathroom

Morning @latias9787 

Looks like you have the same style of cabinet I do, tho my laminate is ripping away from the top of the drawers.

Like @MitchellMc I dont think it will be easy to bring back/repair the surface. As much as I hate wastage I decided to let it be until I redo the bathroom.

The problem with trying to repair it is once it starts lifting the whole lot wants to lift, Ive considered glue to hold down the laminate and then cut of the stuff that has torn followed by builders bog to fill in the ripple bewteen laminiate and particle board, sand and paint the whole cabinet. Lots of effort and I think the issue would contine with the covering being brittle.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects