Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I isolate and disconnect my kitchen taps ready for kitchen removal please?

Beebob
Just Starting Out

How do I isolate and disconnect my kitchen taps ready for kitchen removal please?

Hi I've purchased a Kaboodle kitchen and getting ready for the first step of removing the old kitchen. I understand I need to get a plumber in for the new tap installation but can I isolate & disconnect the old one for the old kitchen removal, if so, how? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I isolate and disconnect my kitchen taps ready for kitchen removal please?

Hi @Beebob,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, I do not have an advisable D.I.Y. method for you to isolate your water supply besides turning it off at the water meter, which wouldn't allow water to any of your other outlets.

As your water supply is connected to both the mains water and your hot water system, which are costly repairs if something goes wrong, I'd advise you to leave the whole job to the plumber.

Is there a reason you are looking to isolate the kitchen taps? 

Is this because you are looking to remove the cabinetry around them?

There may be ways of leaving the kitchen taps in place, while still allowing you to remove stuff around them.

If you have some photos of the area, I'd be more than happy to offer some advice.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Jacob

Beebob
Just Starting Out

Re: How do I isolate and disconnect my kitchen taps ready for kitchen removal please?

IMG_20240622_173513.jpg

IMG_20240622_173950.jpg

Thanks Jacob, 

Yes keen for your thoughts on how to leave the taps but remove everything else. In the interest of time I only have the weekends to do this so eager to do as much as possible to get it to the point of ready to install the new one and have the tradies come to do plumbing/electrical. Thanks

Koopza
Growing in Experience

Use the caps that come with 3 ways undersink tap isolators. Once the water meter tap is off, fit the caps, they won't leak as they have rubber seals

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Beebob,

It looks like you've got shut-off valves under your sink. Is there any reason you can't just turn these off and remove everything around them? Do they leak?

If they don't leak, there's no reason you can't remove the tap, sink and waste pipe, you may just need to leave a section of the chipboard that they are attached to and plug the waste pipe. You could simply stuff a rag into the pipe so no smells can come up through the pipe.

I'm happy to offer further advice, but the demolition process would be pretty straightforward.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects