Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I seal my new rendered countertop?

victoriavdb
Just Starting Out

How can I seal my new rendered countertop?

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6328.jpeg

  

Hi. I had a great idea, did some research and got lots of advice. Basically it hasn’t worked out as planned and I need some advice. I sanded back my laminate countertop and rendered it. I couldn’t sand it so have chipped away at it by hand. I’m happy with the final product and was planning to paint it, but now think I like the natural look. I have already used a natural stone and concrete sealer to protect it, but the finish is still quite rough for a countertop (smooth to touch) and I want a way to seal/fill in the gaps while keeping the look I have. I have been suggested epoxy top coats and resins. Any ideas? Trying to keep it as affordable as possible as this already turned into a very expensive project from a humble idea!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I seal my new rendered countertop?

Hi @victoriavdb,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a clear sealer that would make your rendered countertop smooth to the touch.

The only clear sealer I am aware of that would be suitable for this is Crommelin 4L Water Based Brick And Render Sealer which is a penetrative sealer, so the surface would remain rough.

I suppose you could apply a fine coat render such as this Dunlop 20kg Fine Coat Render and then seal it to get a smoother surface.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Noyade and @Nailbag to see if they have any ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How can I seal my new rendered countertop?

Afternoon @victoriavdb 

All I can think of is an epoxy still pour and fill 😕 

Outside the square answer depending on how flat it is, Is a sheet of toughned glass cut to the size and smooth edged. "Shrug" its not a lot of hope but it keeps the look of it.

Whichever way I think what you have doen is pretty interesting (good or bad :smile: ) and would love to see you put the process and phoos into a project. At the very least that bench top looks pretty cool and maybe someone will see it and have an "ah hah" moment.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects