Workshop
Ask a question

How can I paint over a two-pack painted wooden kitchen cabinet with enamel paint?

Leebc
Just Starting Out

How can I paint over a two-pack painted wooden kitchen cabinet with enamel paint?

Must I sand the 2 pack paint away before applying the enamel paint?

I also need to fill a small hole on the panel before painting it.

What can I use to seal the enamel paint soit doesn't come off or peel?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I paint over a 2 pack painted wooden kitchen cabinet with enamel paint?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Leebc. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting cabinet doors.

Ultimately, sanding the two-pack off would be the best way to ensure that your enamel paint adheres correctly. Even if you were to sand the gloss back, there's no guarantee that a primer will adhere to it. Given this, I'd recommend sanding the two-pack off entirely and using the Dulux 1-step on the timber, and then, once dry, Dulux Aquanamel over it. It's important to know that the two-pack product is an extremely durable industrial-grade coating, whereas the Aquanamel is significantly softer. It would be fine for a quick refresh, but it's not a long-term solution for a paint coating in a high-wear environment like a kitchen.

If prepared and applied correctly, there is no need for an additional sealing coat to prevent the enamel paint from peeling.

Remember to wear PPE, including a face mask and safety goggles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I paint over a 2 pack painted wooden kitchen cabinet with enamel paint?

Hi @Leebc,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

We're looking forward to seeing how you can renovate your kitchen. 

Just thought I'd add to Mitch's reply that you should get plenty of inspiration from our collection of 20 kitchens transformed with paint by community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects