Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent moisture in wardrobe inside an ensuite?

mike1360
Building a Reputation

How to prevent moisture in wardrobe inside an ensuite?

I've got a wardrobe in my ensuite. Is there any chance that I can prevent moisture from getting in there without changing the layout of the ensuite? I was thinking about removing the existing wardrobe and build a walk-in wardrobe, then an ensuite, have a door between the ensuite and wardrobe.  Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 10.06.24 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-27 at 10.05.56 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-27 at 10.07.34 PM.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wardrobe in ensuite

Hello @mike1360 

Thanks for sharing your question about your wardrobe and ensuite. 

Putting a dividing wall between your shower area and your walk-in wardrobe will slow the flow of the heavy moisture from your shower area, but it will not stop it from going in especially if it has a door. Once that moisture settles inside that room it will not be good for your clothing.

If the situation were reverse and the entry for the walk-in was from the outside, it would definitely work. Even with proper ventilation it would not be ideal to have your clothing so close to the shower area. My only suggestion is to find another entry point for your walk-in wardrobe and totally seal off that room from your ensuite.   

Let mem call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

I also suggest having a quick look at these discussions - Wardrobe makeover adding additional storage by @raniia and Complete D.I.Y. ensuite renovation by @Peter13.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to prevent moisture in wardrobe inside an ensuite?

Afternoon @mike1360 

I have a couple of questions of course :smile:

Does the room have an exhaust fan?  

For the walk in wardrobe does the ceiling of it exit to the ceiling space above?

My first thoughts are a rubber strip across the floor that is inline with the bottom of the doors when closed. Something like this Premier Blue 5.2m Garage Door Floor Seal This will help stop that warm air from entering, With maybe a weather strip for all the doors like this Raven 5000mm RP59 White Self Adhesive Window and Door Weather Strip 

Second thought was to add to the weather strips by installing an exhaust fan in the walkin that is on the same circuit as the fan for the bathroom.

Third thought was maybe revist the exhaust fan you have and install a larger capacity one to draw out as much water/humidy as possible. Maybe install a timer on the switch that shuts it off ten mins after you exit the room/turn the lights off. (you will need a sparky for that instalation)

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @mike1360 

It would help to see a sketch plan with the current layout and dimensions to see what if other issues may need to be considered for the dividing wall. Ideally a cavity slider/s will mean you could possibly make the WIR deeper without the need to allow for a swinging door. The deeper space will also provide more forgiveness with any moisture concerns.

WIR's, are typically in the middle not at the end of a walk through configuration for functionality and as what @EricL mentioned with regards to potential retained moisture and stuffiness. @Dave-1 suggestions of some form of weather-shield would definitely help as would the use of additional stronger exhaust fans. But these would need to be timer switched so they remain on for x-min after use of the shower. All 2-3 could be connected together. If going cavity sliders, then additional brushed style strip on edge inside edge of the cavity opening and one under the door itself.

Regards, Nailbag

mike1360
Building a Reputation

It has an exhaust fan and needs to be upgraded. I think I'll get a few quotes on rearranging my ensuite. I'll have the WIR in the middle, then the ensuite at the back like this

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 9.58.04 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects