Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Burnt family dining table restoration

MatchBox-Renos
Finding My Feet

Burnt family dining table restoration

Our parents bought this kitchen table when they were first married 30 years ago. Despite several relocations, it has remained the heart of our family, withstanding every meal and family debate!

This Family table is the only surviving piece of furniture we now have due to a significant house fire a few months ago. Everything we had was destroyed in a pile of ashes, bar this table, which was severely charred but unbroken.

Through lots of elbow grease, sandpaper, and determination, the restored family table is back where it belongs!

Steps

Step 1

Using the Ozito Multi sander on the hook and loop attachment we sanded all the loose ashes with an 80-grit sandpaper,Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.20.21 am.pngScreenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.21.23 am.png

Step 2

After completing the 80-grit sanding, we smoothed the wood with a finer grit, eventually ending with 120-grit sandpaper. We wiped with a cloth between each grit. 

We then started patching up all the cracks and holes with the wood filler; we chose ebony so there was a contrast between the raw wood, the charred colour and the cracks.

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.27.07 am.png 

Step 3

After applying multiple layers of wood filler, we applied a few coats of water-based wood varnish before finishing with two coats ofScreenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.30.27 am.png Gloss floor varnish. 

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Re: Restored Burnt Family Dinner Table

So happy you could save and restore your families table. What you've done to it has given it more character and looks its age. Well done.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Burnt family dining table restoration

Hi @MatchBox-Renos,

The plot of your wonderful Country-style kitchen renovation has certainly thickened. 

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your things in the fire. This was surely a devastating time for you which I'm so glad you've been able to recover from.

You've done a remarkable job of restoring this table and I'm so glad that you did. It will surely be the setting for many more beautiful memories for you and your family. I hope that it and the story behind it will be passed down to the next generation and many more after that. 

Congratulations on a fantastic restoration and thank you for sharing.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects